worth showing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazza

Reaction score
i have this handsome little castor rex buck, but it seems like he's gotten as dark as he ever will, and i'm wondering if he'd really be worth showing? he is much much lighter than the castors i see online. i was hoping to show him and my rew doe at a couple shows but if he's not gonna do well then i would rather not waste my time.

tumblr_oi4v27SAea1vlx0zao1_500.jpg

the photo is zoomed in but it's fairly colour-accurate.

Are you sure he isn't amber? The tips of his ears and top of his head look more chocolate than black. Can you get a picture of the top of the ears and post it here? If he was amber, you could probably try to show him (there isn't as much competition in ambers, too)

It looks like his guard hairs are longer than the undercoat, which allows the lighter orange undercolor to show through, make the surface color seem lighter and more orangey. This isn't too bad a fault color-wise, but it is problem with fur texture. If he has really course fur, it might not be worth showing. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:41 pm __________ <br /><br /> I found a nice picture comparing ambers & castors too:
1404490_orig.jpg

he was sold to me as a castor at six weeks (so his colour wasn't very dark anyway,) but i wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if he wasn't lol.

took some photos of him this morning:

rCVMdax.jpg

eartips - not much darker colour there

4TS1pcq.jpg

fur rings. there's not much black there at all. you can see here how some of the hairs are tipped in white though. the texture of his coat is actually very nice, not coarse at all.

npBD0Zk.jpg

he does have some dark fur on his back but it's not a lot. the dark areas look odd here, i'm not sure if it's because of the way the fur laid after i picked him up, or if he's about to moult again >>

I would suggest bringing him... if you are thinking about showing the REW.

When you get to the show, hunt down the other REX breeders and talk with them.....
They will give you feed back on him... If he is worth showing enter him in the second show... if you don't have two shows... enter him anyway for the show... you can always scratch him, and consider the fee a donation to the local club.

also, get yourself a copy of the standards (if you don't have them) It really helps to have it to look at. (in my case, over and over and over again....lol)

I think he isn't showable, from what I have seen. But, assessing can be difficult from a photo.
Also, he isn't posed to assess type, so again... difficult to judge.
(I've been hanging out with the REX breeders in Michigan for about a year, before deciding to breed Harlequins... I still get my rex fix with foster bunnies from my friend's barn)

his body type is actually pretty nice from what i can tell, he's nice and round when i actually pose him and he has a good thickness to his body. i was mostly concerned about his colour. guess i gotta get him a nice dark girlfriend now...good thing i just had a cage open up and i already planned on filling it with a nice broken doe soon ;P

Color wise, it's not a dq, and color isn't too important in rex. It does look castor here. but those guard hairs look way too long, he can't have the right fur texture. Rabbits with long guard hairs like that are good for breeding, because they can add density and strength to the coat, but they usually don't place high.

Back