Terminal culling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
So I am a very gentle soul and it took me sometime to warm up to the idea of eating rabbits. Now I am thinking about terminally culling and processing some culls for myself. I usually use a cull buyer for my culls. But I am really hung up on the idea of killing a rabbit. I don't want to cause the rabbit pain or fear and am afraid I will do it wrong and cause them that. I currently have a old rabbit that is not doing well and lost about 8 oz of weight in the last several months. I think it is time to terminal cull since I don't think he is very comfortable being outside with the little fat and muscle mass that he has left and it is very cold here. So the question come down to can I kill him myself or have a veterinarian do it for me. I know the basics of the broom stick method and would use that method it I do get the courage.

Could use some advice and possible encouragement.

you'll find lots of information and advice in this forum. Different people have different preferred methods even though the goal is common--to dispatch humanely and efficiently.
Just my thought--the meat is more apt to be tender and tasty if the animal is young and healthy.

I started into meat Rabbits by selling my first meat litter. I couldn't do it. The next litter I thought I could, but chickened out and gave them to a friend along with the doe. Lo and behold, her husband had to work unexpectedly the day they were to get the mom and process he kits. The deal was they could have them, they had to kill them and I would show them how to process once the rabbit was dead. I ended up having to buck up and kill the whole litter and show them how to process. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. I ended up buying more meat does to replace the one I gave away and going from there. Haven't raised meat chickens since. Way cleaner than butchering chickens.

As far as broomstick, all I can say is to step on both sides of the rake close to their head (quickly, remember you are cutting of their airway as you do this), and pull up hard and fast. If their head comes off it may be messy, but you know you've got the job done efficiently ( more likely with chickens than rabbits, but it could happen to a very young rabbit). It is harder the older the rabbit is, but I have butchered old bucks that way and it will work, you just need to commit and pull, HARD. You should feel the neck give. If you can turn the head 180* or touch their eye and they don't blink, you've done it properly, though they will still twitch.

Good luck.

Broomsticking works very well, but there is a little room for error. Some people have a hard time pulling hard enough the first time, or feeling the bones pull apart in their hands. Moving too slowly can cause stress or discomfort too. It needs to be done smoothly and quickly, with killing intent.
I wouldn't suggest culling a bun you are emotionally attached to for your first try. I know, all buns are precious, but some are harder to dispatch than others.

An air pallet to the brain is my preferred fool-proof, instant, and stress-free dispatch. You just have to make sure that the bun doesn't dodge, and you shoot in the right location. The brain case is set back, behind the eyes. Googling a pic of a rabbit skull would help.

I understand how hard it is to kill animal. I had one that i didnt feel bad about, it got spooked and broke it leg. I can not afford to have vet on hand. All meds are handle by me.

But getting back to the topic of killing. I am with zass on the pellet rifle but if you can not afford one. Next best is either a broomstick or something similar as in rebar or conduit.

There is also the rabbit wringer or blunt force ... I do blunt force as I don't have anywhere to mount a rabbit wringer and do have experience in dispatching from a young age, so not the emotional issue for me.

I have only had one bad blow where the rabbit wasn't stunned and screamed. As it was, the second blow was already on the way. I felt really bad over that one (still do, TBH) but had already begun the double-tap over concerns of missing on the first one.

I do recommend the video by Bowbuild for technique. You can search this site to get the link to his video.

Also, starting with fryer weight rather than an adult to perfect your technique will be a bit easier.

AnnClaire":38im4c7z said:
There is also the rabbit wringer or blunt force ... I do blunt force as I don't have anywhere to mount a rabbit wringer and do have experience in dispatching from a young age, so not the emotional issue for me.

I have only had one bad blow where the rabbit wasn't stunned and screamed. As it was, the second blow was already on the way. I felt really bad over that one (still do, TBH) but had already begun the double-tap over concerns of missing on the first one.

I do recommend the video by Bowbuild for technique. You can search this site to get the link to his video.

Also, starting with fryer weight rather than an adult to perfect your technique will be a bit easier.

I would like to see the video and having trouble searching for it.

I wish I could use a pellet gun. But I live in the city and its illegal to discharge one. I may looking to getting a rabbit wringer though the broomstick method is cheaper. I have a rabbit friend that is willing to teach me to culling and process. So in the next month or so I will have someone helping me learn.

Thanks for all the information guys. I appreciate it.

You could use a hammer to the head. Search utube for dispatching rabbits your find a lot.

Latest posts

Back