Brrrrr !!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We thought it was cold around here Saturday. Had about 3" of sugar powder snow and a high of 9*f. Packed wood to the shop, fed and watered the ducks and made them go into their house for the night with a heat lamp on.

Woke up about 12:30 AM so went out and put wood on the fire and it was -11f. Came in and went back to bed until one of our cats woke me trying to get under the covers. That was 4:30 AM and that never happens. :| More wood on the fire and by the time I walked back to the house my face burned. Then I saw why. :x ...and it will still get colder and dawn. :cry:

Brrrr.png

Phew, that's really cold. I actually envy you :D

We would need that temperatures here for a week, to decimate these spanish slugs that cover everything after a mild winter, but it's not likely to happen any more, also the times are gone when, as a child, I climbed on the roof and jumped in the snow drifts, some 6ft high. Only very little snow the last decades, and not cold enough.

On the positive side, my heating for the water crocks (outside) works to at least to -6°C, don't have to care much about frozen water the whole winter. But gathering forage in spring gets somewhat icky, with about 500 slugs per square meter...

Attachments

• aarrrghh.jpg
    aarrrghh.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,669
Went through a wheel barrow and a half of wood last night keeping the shop within reason. ~55f They say it's going to get up to 23 today but we've been lied to before. :eek: It's still -15 out now.

Preitler, I'd be glad to send this crap your way. It's not even officially winter until Dec21. I'd take the slugs over this nonsense any day!

Brrr.jpg

Still -5 here. Just brought in another wheel barrow full of wood to keep everybunny warm while I get to clean hutches. ;) What part of the country you in Harelady?

Nebraska so not terrible far away from you Homer. Now it is a whole 2 degrees. Yay not in the negative anymore.

sigh and i'm over here in texas rejoicing that it's finally in the 30s.... it's been highs of 77F every day for the past month! i think we got maybe two days of cold weather before now, but it's going to be back up in the 60s by wednesday according to the weather app on my phone :( no hope of a cold christmas again this year it seems.

bunnies seem to be enjoying the mild temps though. they're so frisky!

Thursday night went to 9 here in ohio. Then we went up to 58 on saturday and expected to drop all next week.

Yikes, Homer! It was in the high 20's here last night (no idea how cold it got in the wee hours, though) and that was bad enough for me!

Preitler, slugs love beer- so much so that they will "drowned themselves in drink" if you put some out in a container deep enough for them to do so- you might need to use up a keg or two before you make a dent in your population, though!

Where in Colorado are you at PSFAngoras? 10*f here right now, I hate the cold but love when it snows. I have half of a snow man built in my yard.

MamaSheepdog":22lsxe9y said:
Yikes, Homer! It was in the high 20's here last night (no idea how cold it got in the wee hours, though) and that was bad enough for me!
Only -7 this morning and it feels much better than yesterday. :lol:

MamaSheepdog":22lsxe9y said:
Preitler, slugs love beer- so much so that they will "drowned themselves in drink" if you put some out in a container deep enough for them to do so- you might need to use up a keg or two before you make a dent in your population, though!
You calling me a slug? :shock: I love beer too! :roll:

Oscar":22lsxe9y said:
Where in Colorado are you at PSFAngoras?
She likes to stay kind of low key. Lets just say she lives between you and I.

PSFAngoras":22lsxe9y said:
You may be on your own there Homer, I'll take a month of freezing temps over that heavy of a slug infestation any day. There'd be no hope of a food garden with those around...

I know your organic with your job but...Have you ever heard the saying, "better living through chemistry"? It came from the 60s hippie culture if you know what I mean.

Shazza and Bigfoot, :nono: :nana:
:cheesysmile:

Harelady":22lsxe9y said:
Nebraska so not terrible far away from you Homer.

You're not around Lexington are you? Looking for someone to attend some animal actions there this summer?

My 92 year old mother lives in Republican City 70 miles south of Kearney with my brother. :cool:

Oscar":i9h4q3we said:
Where in Colorado are you at PSFAngoras? 10*f here right now, I hate the cold but love when it snows. I have half of a snow man built in my yard.

As much info as you can find on the web these days I'm starting to wonder if there is such a thing as low key anymore...

I'm in Canon City. We have our own little micro-climate usually, with low temps at night and warm days this time of year. (Started out at -9*f yesterday and was up to 38 during the day, back to -9 this morning.) I don't mind the temps, but sadly snow is few and far between here. Just got out first real snow this weekend. Last time it snowed it was barely an inch and it hung around for all of an hour or two.

Homer.... I am officially shut up regarding the cold after reading your night.... lol

I havn't had heat in my truck in a week.... but I should shut up about that too... cause I've heard stories of folks who have had power steering lines and break lines freeze....

I'm in southern Ontario and we are surrounded by the great lakes.. so 21F this morning and we had freezing rain on Saturday... We just have to wait a couple of days and the weather will change around here.... (not always for the best)

Homer Lexington is about a three hour drive for me. What kind of animal auctions are we talking? If it's worth my time I could come.

You're on one side of the state or the other then, no big deal. Just some rabbits I heard about last summer. It's only 5 hours for me if I put on my lead shoe. :lol: Besides, I can go see mom too. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:09 am __________ <br /><br /> Gee. Only -2(f) this morning and about 6" of snow.

Is it spring yet?

happy-easter-cute-bunny-cartoon-animated-gif-1.gif

We are cold in South TX too! And even tho it should dip down to 29 degrees, thats much colder than it sounds when you factor in humidty:)

How are your buns handling the cold? Are they inside or outside? I am considering brining our 4-H rabbits in the house. We need them to gain weight and I bet they are using a lot of calories to try and stay warm. They ate well when we fed this morning, but if they are huddled in a corner today I dont see them wanting to feast like we need them to:) Beyond that, I know last year there were show bunnies lost to the low temps. I dont know what their housing situaions were, but I do know that it was more than one meat pen.

I am thrilled that we will get a good hard freeze though! It will definiatly manage our mosquitoes, fleas, roaches, and all other bugs better if we get a nice freeze that if we dont. I think we need at least one good one per year, and that doesnt always happen for us.

STAY WARM FRIENDS!

macksmom98":3okc6ef3 said:
We are cold in South TX too! And even tho it should dip down to 29 degrees, thats much colder than it sounds when you factor in humidty:)
Sure it is. :p Went and saw my nephew in Houston a couple years ago about this time of year. They were in coats and gloves and we had our shorts on! :lol:

macksmom98":3okc6ef3 said:
How are your buns handling the cold? Are they inside or outside? I am considering brining our 4-H rabbits in the house.

Mine took over 1/4 my shop years ago. I moved them into it because I was loosing my Flemish Giants to heat stroke. When winter came around I thought what the neck, leave them in a heated shop and I don't have to deal with frozen water. That and I can breed all year around. :D

lol-it IS cold, I promise! Its a bone chilling wet cold. My family from CO comes to visit this time of year and they also can tell the difference, so I know its not just me. I think your days in Houston were a little warmer. Its below freezing here which hardly ever happens. We come to CO and will be playing in the snow in our t-shirts when its 35 out, so I guess its what you are used to. Anything below 0 is extra cold, so you do have it worse off than us for sure, I wont debate that!

Back