What colors would I get...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I have a Chin/NZ doe she is a REW and her mom was a Chin of same breed as well as her dad.
I have a broken chestnut buck he is a SM Lion head/NZ/Chin cross. His dad is a SM false broken black charlie. His mom is a Chin NZ/Chin.

I would be breeding grandson to grandma. I want to know what some of the colors I might get from this combo would be? I'm doing this combo SPECIFICALLY for fur color and pattern. I know you can't give me for sure answers but I want to know possible outcomes, so I know it's worth it :3.

Other kits I've had from his pop were Broken black, black, black tipped chocolate (orange?) torte. and there is Chestnut/Broken chestnut. There was also what I believe to have been a mini me of momma, she is a brown, orange, and white (Unsure of name of color)

chestnut, broken chestnut are definite possibilities. also you might get EITHER chinchillas and broken chinchillas OR whites. Theres also a small chance of selfs

What an interesting site! I will definitely be bookmarking it for later use.

My results were:
~ Chestnut
~Black
~Black Otter
~Chocolate
~Chocolate Otter
~Chinchilla
~REW
~Opal
~Blue
~Blue Otter
~Lilac
~Lilac Otter
~Squirrel

The rest seem like ones I wouldn't get from a meat doe so I didn't list them. I have an Opal from the same doe but different buck. I know there is a 50% chance of these colors in broken. What are the chances of getting a REW? Dad would have to carry the Dilute gene wouldn't he? But if he's a broken does he automatically carry it? I would LOVE some white babies!!! I love pink popples!! <3 <3

You probably wont get any otters. Dilutes (opal, blue, squirrel, etc) are unlikely too. And you almost certainly won't get any chocolate based rabbit. Those color generators are often inaccurate when you don't know the exact genotype of the parents, because they substitute in recessive alleles, even if those recessives don't exist in the breed.

The rew doe is the grandmother to the buck she is getting bred to? Then you have a 50% to get 50% rew, and a 50% chance to get 0% rew (depending on if he carries it)

Looking at the generator and putting in what the recessives probably are, this is what I get:
AA BB Cc DD EE Enen…
Broken Chestnut
25%

AA BB c_ DD EE Enen…
Broken Chestnut, Broken Chinchilla (Black), Broken REW, Broken Chinchilla (Sable)
25%

AA BB Cc DD EE enen…
Chestnut
25%

AA BB c_ DD EE enen…
Chestnut, Chinchilla (Black), REW, Chinchilla (Sable)
25%

ButtonsPalace":o1f3tagq said:
What an interesting site! I will definitely be bookmarking it for later use.

What are the chances of getting a REW? Dad would have to carry the Dilute gene wouldn't he? But if he's a broken does he automatically carry it? I would LOVE some white babies!!! I love pink popples!! <3 <3

To get REW you need two copies of the recessive color or "small c".
Dilute is a different thing, it is the gene that turns black into blue or chocolate into lilac; if you have two copies of "small d".
So if dad has a copy of small c, you can get REW's.

The broken gene is something else entirely. And does not contribute to REW. That being said if you end up with REW's, there is a chance they will carry the broken gene. The simple analogy is: everyday is Halloween and your rabbit is dressed as a ghost. "Underneath the sheet" it has information for color, which would include thr broken pattern.

If you don't get REW's, all of the kits will now carry the recessive small c. Breeding those to an REW will result in a litter with REW's, 50%.

Ok so if the dilute causes blacks to be blues and the such does that mean my bucks are carrying it? I have a chocolate buck who I recently bred to my REW and had a Opal kit. And the reference to Halloween is very true. I'm glad to know I'll have a chance at some broken chestnut, I really want a doe in that color and possibly another broken doe if it comes (Like I need any more rabbits...) I suppose if I bred them I'll limit myself to ONE DOE and one doe only. Thank you guys for all the help.

ButtonsPalace":2q3n2vrz said:
Ok so if the dilute causes blacks to be blues and the such does that mean my bucks are carrying it? I have a chocolate buck who I recently bred to my REW and had a Opal kit.
If you have correctly identified the colors (chocolate and opal); then that particular buck has the recessive d for dilution. FYI you can determine that the doe is A_,B_,cc,_d,__ as it needs to supply the Aguoti, the Black, and the dilute genes.

As for your other bucks you can't tell from looking at them if they have the recessive dilute; unless they are a dilute color with (dd) such as lilac, lynx, blue, opal, way to many to remember. If any of your buck sired kits with dilute colors, then that sire carries the dilute gene.
(Once again this is dependent on you actually identifying the colors correctly. Myself, I have trouble visually identifying colors outside of the selfs.)

So my older black buck produced blues and lilacs and chocolates as well as a few blacks. He carries the "d" dilute then right? I also bred his chocolate colored son to my REW and got an opal doe.

ButtonsPalace":2qdaf5g8 said:
So my older black buck produced blues and lilacs and chocolates as well as a few blacks. He carries the "d" dilute then right? I also bred his chocolate colored son to my REW and got an opal doe.
Yes it sounds as if your older black buck is Dd, and his chocolate colored son is Dd as well.

That's amazing :) I bred them today and will again in the morning. Had four successful fall offs and she really wanted to be bred she stuck her fanny mighty high haha... Now for the wait..

Back