Alfalfa Pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBC

Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding organic (or at least non-gmo) feed in my area so I've been looking at some alternative feeds. I found alfalfa pellets for a reasonable price if I order in bulk...would alfalfa pellets and a salt/mineral block be enough to replace commercial pellets? I give them grass hay every few days but most of it ends up falling to the ground so I'm not sure how much actually gets eaten. I would also be feeding fodder a few times a week.

What would I need to add to make it balanced?

If it makes any difference, this would mainly be to supplement fodder for a week or two if I have to be out of town.

I give my rabbits grass hay all day every day. Do you use hay racks? It will cut down on some of the hay lost.

What else is in the alfalfa pellets ?

as Dood pointed out it will be short on energy [carbs and fat] and may or may not be short on protein [some alfalfa is over 20 % protein, some is 9 or 10%] also -since you were comparing to rabbit pellets [I assume a reputable manufacturer] a vitamin mineral premix is added to the ration - these minerals and vitamins are extremely important in some areas of the US , and not so much in other areas. [the normal sugar-sand soil of N. Florida is short in almost everything] so- if you are growing some of your feeds, soil amendments would be very important.

What else is in the alfalfa pellets ?
I hadn't thought about there being anything other than alfalfa in it, I'll have to see if the manufacturer can send me an ingredient list.

The pellets would be coming from Coyote Creek Farm and their website shows a protein level of 17%, 1.2% fat and 30% fiber.

[the normal sugar-sand soil of N. Florida is short in almost everything] so- if you are growing some of your feeds, soil amendments would be very important.
Yep, our soil is all sand and pretty worthless for growing things! I have been sprouting some fodder for the rabbits, and wouldn't mind feeding it full time, I just wanted to have some sort of feed on hand as backup in case a batch of fodder has to be thrown out, or for when I'm out of town.

MaggieJ":2jzjfeab said:
Is there any way that you can get a sample of the alfalfa pellets? I have heard that rabbits often don't find them palatable.

my rabbits find them "palatable" , but - will begin to do poorly in time, if not fed a more balanced diet,--- and- they will sort out the alfalfa pellets in favor of "rabbit pellets" - JMHO---

Another consideration on long term storage of rabbit pellets is that some of the vitamins are fugitive, meaning that they will decrease in potency over time.

Back