vent disease

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenigonyon

Reaction score
I have a small hobby herd of meat mutts, and have recently contracted vent disease. In lieu of treating my entire herd, can I cull most of them for the freezer? Is the meat safe to eat for me and/or my dogs? No vets in my area have experience with meat rabbits, and I would also like to know if anyone knows of a vet who would be willing to give me advice over the phone. The vets in my (urban) area seem horrified that I don't treat my rabbits as pets. Any advice in either area would be appreciated!

:welcome: to the forum

Treponema cuniculi is not zoonotic and you and your dogs cannot catch it

Many farmer supply stores sell antibiotics you can use to treat - I've not had to but others may be able to offer advise on the recommended drug, the dose for rabbits and the duration of treatment

Thank you so much! I did my research on the procaine penn, so I'm good on that. Do you happen to know the withdrawal time for it? I'm going to cull the majority of what I've got, but I'm going to treat the few I use the most for breeding. I'm new to the forum but everyone seems so helpful!

Withdraw time is 14 days I believe for Pen G (long lasting), I follow what's listed on the bottle for cows and considering safe since smaller and leaves quicker. However it is off label use, its not specifically noted for rabbits. You'd have to treat ANY that came into contact with affected (breeding or offspring of even if showing NO signs and even those that were moved to an affected's pen...unfortunately I've picked VD up at a show before although not supposed to be able to do that ugh). If not, its a waste of time and money. Dosage is 1/10cc per pound of weight. I have done 3 days of shots, wait 7 days and do another, wait another 7 days do another, and then another 7 days do another. Complete set of injections must be done or will only hide it and you'll end up with a resistant strain. IF I treat and it does not cure it the first time, unless they come into contact with some one infected I didn't know about, then they are culled. Some places Pen G no longer works.

Latest posts

Back