Olaf keeps humping my arm- Please help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
Some of you may know that I own a very spoiled Mini Angora male rabbit named Olaf. I love him to bits! I have recently got him an indoor cage so I spend much more time with him now.
I did his daily chores this morning- feeding, cleaning, giving hay and water, ect. He was totally normal.
Then a few hours later I went to go pet him, and he did something he has never done before.
He tried to hump my arm. I had been petting him by the door of the cage so I thought he was just trying to get out. Olaf backed up into the cage and I pet him happily. Then he did it again, and this time, not even near the door. Then I knew exactly what was happening. I was totally freaking out and totally grossed out.
I have heard of younger rabbits, just becoming mature, humping peoples arms or feet before. But Olaf already went through that stage already. he is one and a half years old and a very happy and friendly rabbit.
He keeps doing it to me when I go to pet him, but not when I get him out of the cage to hold him or give him exercise.
Please help!
I don't know if theres anyway to stop him from doing this, but if there is please tell me! I hate that he is doing this, though I love him to bits and he is my best friend! I don't want him doing this to my younger brothers and sisters.
Please help!

Homer raises a good point. It will likely pass after a while. It is a mistake, I think, to judge animal behaviour by human standards. Olaf is merely acting on his instincts, prodded by his hormones, and you don't need to be upset by this.

There are ways to let Olaf know that you do not appreciate his behaviour. Miss M, among others, has used the methods in the link below to stop a rabbit from biting. In order to do this, you need to imitate the body language of a rabbit to show him just how offended you are. They have reorganzied the information, so you will need to skim through the site until you find the section on offendedness. (Better still, read the whole online booklet so you can apply the information in a variety of situations. It will help you to understand Olaf, and help Olaf to understand you.)
Good luck! :good-luck:
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Zass":2enkr33b said:
I agree with the others, nothing to really worry about. It's not really weird or gross behavior for a rabbit.
Be glad he isn't spraying urine at your face! :p

Yea I got baptised by fire too. I agree a girl friend or fixed.

Thanks everyone!
@Homer
Yes it is spring here. That's probably it. Now I feel bad for him. Poor Olaf.
@Maggie J
I'll check that out! I have read something before on the language of rabbits and found out that he does in fact, love me the way I love him. I thought he hated me, but he loves me. He's such a big sweetie pie:) The book thing also helped me to stop him from nipping me ( which he is doing again. :| training time.....) and now what he is trying to say when he nudges me!
@Zass
He's done it to his best friend Pippin. But then Pippin did it to him. For days. Once again, poor Olaf. I have probably just been over reacting with all this stuff.

he has to improvise if no girlfriend, and if he is just a pet get him neutered!!!
It is better for his health and wellness.

Blueeyedrex":3q7u7xv2 said:
It is better for his health and wellness.

Why?

Neutered bucks are said to be calmer, less active - for rabbits not something per se healthy.
If you refer to horrific cancer numbers - that is a myth spread by people with the agenda to neuter everything :?

To be honest, I never thought an intact male can be a good house bunny, but due to a hutch shortage my 2yo herd buck lives in my house for 2 weeks now, free range. Happy boy, never lost a single bunny berry outside his area, and no pee accident whatsoever. No gnawed wood, no destroyed cables. Hops on my bed in the morning to get his slice of apple, I'm really impressed. :bunnyhop:

I'm sure it would have been more difficult when he was a youth, sprayed his hutch and everything (living things included :shock: ) from top to bottom, but now that he's grown up he's a charm.

Edit: After some thinking I remembered there's The Straight Dope about castrating and longevity, but imho it's a far stretch to draw conclusions for rabbits :D

Latest posts

Back