Help for Flemish Giant and short sharp nails.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
Ok I am a dog groomer and I know how to trim nails but what else can I do? He is still scratching the crap out of me and there is nothing more to snip off. His nails are short to the quick but still sharp as needles. Do they make nail caps for rabbits? I may try some small dog size and see if that works. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. He i great to hold on your lap but if he ever struggles I am mince meat. :(

That's strange- normally after I take the tips of of kit's nails they have blunt tips from that point on. :? Usually the quick of rabbit nails is back where the nail starts to widen, so maybe you haven't actually gotten as close to the quick as you think?

I use scissor style cat nail clippers on all of my rabbits. They are available at Dollar Tree.

I think these are what MSD is talking about.
scissor-type-pet-nail-clippers-1-600x600.jpg
I like them much better than the guillotine type. Guillotines shatter the nail a little and will be sharp again in toe no time. You could always hit them with a file a couple times after the trim if your rabbit will allow it.

That's them, all right! They work great- and are inexpensive enough that I have multiple pairs- bunny barn, growout area, show box, glove box of my car, bathroom drawer, junk drawer, just about everywhere, lol. They are also great for cutting zip ties at cooped shows if you zip tie the cage doors shut.

BlueHaven":1dwnp5tp said:
Ok I am a dog groomer and I know how to trim nails but what else can I do? He is still scratching the crap out of me and there is nothing more to snip off. His nails are short to the quick but still sharp as needles. Do they make nail caps for rabbits? I may try some small dog size and see if that works. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. He i great to hold on your lap but if he ever struggles I am mince meat. :(

I had a really hard time when I first started with rabbits a year ago.... I still get lacerated more often than I want.
A. rabbits really don't like to be picked up.... my nicest rabbit will shred me if I try and pick her up.
B. make/buy bunny cuffs.... Like bracers to cover your wrist and forearm .... I'm making a couple from old jeans (with thumb holes) and I am going to be looking for a leather set this year.
C. maybe a quilted lap pad would be something to look into .... If you want to hold your rabbit in your lap (jean quilted to jean, with a thin batting, would work really well)
D. the more you handle them, the better they get...that being said, not all rabbits respond well to handling, some have bad attitudes and will fight you every time..... I have a couple that need to be scruffed or they cannot be convinced to come out of the cage.

Don't give up...

SarniaTricia":3gl2xhgk said:
B. make/buy bunny cuffs.... Like bracers to cover your wrist and forearm .... I'm making a couple from old jeans (with thumb holes) and I am going to be looking for a leather set this year.
Tricia, you're reinventing the wheel here. Kevlar sleeves are cheap... :p http://www.seton.com/mcr-safety-kevlar-sleeves-vc1389.html

mcr-safety-kevlar-sleeves-vc1389-lg.jpg

Personally I don't bother. Put them in the bunny torture chamber. (check the link in post 5 above). :lol:

That's exactly what I am using. I have the arm armor as well. I am going to get him fixed here in a few months and I may have them clip them back while he is under. His nails are just so short allready there is really nowhere else to go. May try a fingernail file. If my husband can hold him for me.

Omg homer, i am so getting those sleeves!! On top of having diabetes i now also have my rash back. The rash is called lichen planus. I'm 39 and this is the 5th or 6th time I've had it. The first time i had this rash, i had it over a year and a half. Its so itchy and painful. On top of the rash creating its own itchy bumps.. any break in the skin and even older somewhat fresh scars turn into it. Needless to say my arms, wrists and hands are truly embarrassing. People staring like i have i dunno.. bed bugs? Who knows but i AM getting those sleeves and will use them every time i pick a bunny up. TY TY TY!!!!!

Oh as for nail trimming, if im in a hurry i use those same scissor type clippers, otherwise i use my dremmel so they arent sharp on the sides like when you just clip them. Cant afford scratches at all these days. My body hates me..

Homer":1ei9ohz8 said:
SarniaTricia":1ei9ohz8 said:
Tricia, you're reinventing the wheel here. Kevlar sleeves are cheap... :p http://www.seton.com/mcr-safety-kevlar-sleeves-vc1389.html

mcr-safety-kevlar-sleeves-vc1389-lg.jpg

Personally I don't bother. Put them in the bunny torture chamber. (check the link in post 5 above). :lol:

I love you Homer!
Thank you!!!

Edited to add:
I had to goto the Canadian website to order (and they looked different) but, Sleeves are ordered!!

Latest posts

Back