Steel

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixGun

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently had a litter with my two blue selfs, only to discover that someone was not who they appeared to be.
After looking at pedigrees and the rabbits themselves I believe my doe is actually a steel, not blue. However, I can't find this color on my usual Angora go-to website, and my go-to color calculator website doesn't have steel listed as an option.
So, help please. Blue steel, is it? Aa B- C- dd EsE

Lynx = A_ bb C_ dd E_ (both chocolate and blue)

Fawn = A_ B_ C_ D_ ee
BUT you CANNOT get a fawn from two blues so I suspect you've got a dilute fawn AKA cream = A_ B_ C_ dd ee

Nope, red rabbits have other colour genes not usually listed in the genotype called wideband and extra Rufus factors to get that red belly and rich dark red

(if you wanted to get technical you would have over 12 colour, pattern and fur type loci :cheesysmile: but only 5 colours are commonly used ;) )

Fawn = A_ B_ C_ D_ ee W_ +
Red = A_ B_ C_ D_ ee ww ++++

An ermine (sometimes called frosty) is a fawn that is also chinchilla (= A_ B_ cchd_ D_ ee) or sable (= A_ B_ cchl_ D_ ee)

OK....

So if I bred a Blue (self) to a Steel (Agouti) would I be able to get Blue, Steel, Lynx, Cream, Ermine, and a REW? That's what my best guesses are right now for what is in the nest box.

15350476_10210270969786342_7996247027872008513_n.jpg

Lynx / Cream / Ermine

15380470_10210270970106350_6996343611428665396_n.jpg

3 Blues and a Steel? The one has a lighter color coming in on his ears.

15420849_10210270974426458_8247136274999341558_n.jpg

Ermine and maybe a REW

Partially correct

You can get blue, steel, Lynx, cream but only frost OR REW and not both because both parents carry one full colour gene and one recessive

HOWEVER :mrgreen: IF the blue is actually a self chinchilla :D you could get frosty AND REW :cheesysmile: Time will tell

I think the Lynx (= A_ bb C_ dd E_ ) is more likely a Opal (= A_ B_ C_ dd E_)

Dood":2z68y7dm said:
Partially correct

You can get blue, steel, Lynx, cream but only frost OR REW and not both because both parents carry one full colour gene and one recessive

HOWEVER :mrgreen: IF the blue is actually a self chinchilla :D you could get frosty AND REW :cheesysmile: Time will tell

I think the Lynx (= A_ bb C_ dd E_ ) is more likely a Opal (= A_ B_ C_ dd E_)

No matter how many times I get genetics explained to me... I so don't get it .... Sticking with one colour, with the hopes that I don't need to ..... (Although I bow to those that "get" it....)

Thank you Dood for "getting it"

Back