Register

First Ever Rabbit

A special place for pet owners to discuss their companion rabbits.
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 1,387.00

Re: First Ever Rabbit

Post Number:#16  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 am

:congratulations:

Welcome to this wonderful world .... the next step in your addiction is to get more cages, more rabbits, breeding rabbits, more cages, start showing, still more cages.... wait, you will need more cages.... it's a natural progression.... you will see. (insert evil laugh here)

They are amazing animals, have fun!
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

BunnyBucks: 40.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Moon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

Haha! Thankfully I don't have nearly enough space or resources to start a whole operation :P One is more than enough for now, at least until I move into a bigger place. =)

I did have a question, though. I've read very differing accounts on whether or not to give alfalfa... some people say it's way too high in calcium, and some people say you need to give it. =/ Very confusing. Anyone have a more concrete answer?

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 1,387.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 am

Moon
my rabbits are out in a horse barn.... they get a good quality alfalfa 2nd cut horse hay.....
My friend finds the hay I use too rich for her rabbits... she uses it occasionally (does, growing kits) but cuts it with timothy grass hay. (and she tells me that it makes my bucks fat)

My suggestions is, see what you can get in your area..... monitor your rabbit carefully .. watch for runny poops... make sure you have both grassy hay and alfalfa.... and adjust accordingly.
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
Moon

BunnyBucks: 40.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Moon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Will do! Thank you for the advice =)

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 55,468.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:24 pm

Alfalfa hay is rich. If you are also feeding the pelleted rabbit food, it may be too rich except as treat. It does not sound like you are in a place where natural feeding would be an option, so you would likely be better off feeding mainly timothy hay or another grass hay. With only one bunny (at the moment -- Haha!) you are likely buying feed at a pet store. Try to avoid those brands of feed that have different colours and shapes -- the ones that remind you of kids' junk breakfast cereals. A plain pellet is a better choice and there will be less waste.

Previous