Rabbit ovulation project

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being dumb but I've seen several things about rabbits vaginas going from slim and pale pink to swollen and red/purple.
What I've never seen though is anyone say whether is was monthly like a woman's flow or just sporadic. I have four does all under four months old and my plan is to check their parts daily for changes, this is going to be a tedious task but why not.
My end goal is to watch them over the next 4-5 months and then breed two while they are slim pink and two while they are swollen purple. I want to see which results in larger litters and easier lifts/more receptive does. I think most of my questions have already been answered but hey why not do a fun project with my cute does.

I don't generally check my does before breeding. I just put them together, and if she lifts, great. If she doesn't, I leave them together for a couple days. However, I will be interested to see your results. I'm always ready to incorporate anything which proves successful.

I think bright and swollen is the best time to breed. The does are very receptive.

apparently they're the most receptive when their vulva is very swollen and purplish. however i have two does right now in that state that vehemently refuse to lift for a buck and will growl/nip at him when he approaches. i feel like it might be a combination of the doe's current mood and her receptiveness, not just how she seems physically.

it is also my understanding that this ...swelling comes in a type of cycle. not quite like a menstrual cycle as rabbits don't ovulate until they are bred, but they have like phases of receptiveness that are apparently a little over four days? so the tip i've read is if she won't breed now try in four days and she might be ready then. to be honest though it seems pretty hit or miss, at least for me. but then again, i haven't had a litter all year so i may not be the best one to say lol

I know the not having a litter feel. I can barely get a litter here and there but they seem to only be coming in sets of 1's and 2's.
On the note of it being a mood and receptiveness thing I'll make sure to write down when bred whether they lifted or not. I only have one doe that won't lift for nothing. It don't matter what color or her mood she won't lift.

Do you mean their vulvas change colors? The vagina is internal. :lol:

Anyways, I always do a pre breeding exam over BOTH the buck and the doe before mating. I do not pay attention to what color her vulva is. I've had swollen does refuse and slim does be receptive. It's a hit or a miss in my rabbitry. <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:08 pm -- <br /><br /> Do you mean their vulvas change colors? The vagina is internal. :lol:

Anyways, I always do a pre breeding exam over BOTH the buck and the doe before mating. I do not pay attention to what color her vulva is. I've had swollen does refuse and slim does be receptive. It's a hit or a miss in my rabbitry.

OldEnglishSilvers88":2jdcoun5 said:
Do you mean their vulvas change colors? The vagina is internal. :lol:

Anyways, I always do a pre breeding exam over BOTH the buck and the doe before mating. I do not pay attention to what color her vulva is. I've had swollen does refuse and slim does be receptive. It's a hit or a miss in my rabbitry.
Yeah I mean the vulva lol. Sorry I had forgot the right name for it haha.

Back