Rabbit breeding problem

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
I have two does that seem to not want to get bred (polish). I use southern states traditions 16% protein feed. They get 1/3 cup of grain. They get good timothy hay, BOSS and rolled oats. Each doe is bred to the same buck. Buck is one year old, doe one is 8 months old, doe two is year and half. I purchased doe two and has had successful litters. The doe is brought to the buck cage and he will fall off three to four times. I then separate and wait 15 minutes and do it again for two additional fall offs. Doe one is very receptive, she throws her back side up and backs into him. Its kinda funny to watch. The second doe will raise tail. Doe two has not kidded two times and currently due the 11th. Doe one was bred for the first time and just missed. She gathered hay but pulled no fur. I rebred her yesterday at 36 days. Very receptive and I checked and there was “stuff” in the area :roll: ……. So is there a way to see if my buck is sterile? He has not yet sired a litter.

How fat are those does? That's an awful lot of feed for a tiny polish. If you can't feel ribs and spine with out having to poke them pretty hard...or they look like they are bubbling over just sitting still...chances are the DOES are are too fat. Doesn't matter how many times the buck covers, fat does will not usually get pregnant and IF they do they have very small litters.

Any chance if they are fat to get them bred depends upon them dropping some weight. If that's not the issue, try a different buck. All it takes is 1 connect to produce a litter, any thing other is just a try to guarantee a litter. I let them breed a few times and then IF I can remember go back 6 to 8 hours later again. By that time the doe (if stimulated enough) has started or is dropping her eggs. If there's no sperm present or very little good mobile sperm, the back up covers at that time should catch. It isn't fool proof, but I've had a few really old bucks do better (litter size and strength) doing things that way in HL. I've never bred Polish though.

I will try and get photos. I'm feeding the amount the original breeder told .e to give. Again 1/3 cup at night only. Oats or boss about tablespoon in am w hay. They don't look fat to me and judges never commented on that. .

Back