trouble getting does to breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ve noticed that does breed a lot better when they get 12 hours of light a day.I ve also had to try every day for a week or two.The other thing to try would be to put them in cages so they are side by side.

It seems to be a common problem this year. You have a lot of rabbits, correct? May I ask what you are feeding them? What the rabbitry is like in terms of light and ventilation? How long the problem has been going on?

Rabbits do not go into heat like many other mammals. They are induced ovulators... they ovulate as a result of sexual stimulation. Most does are receptive to breeding, to varying degrees, most of the time. A lot of breeders check the does for readiness by looking at the colour of the doe's genitals. Generally speaking, a dark pink to reddish-purple indicates readiness, whereas pale pink to whitish indicates that the doe is unlikely to cooperate.

Sometimes with pelleted food, a shortage of Vitamins A and/or E will result in lack of interest. This is not a fault of the feed itself, but rather the age of the feed or the conditions in which it has been stored. Supplementing the rabbits' diet with dark green leafy foods such as dandelions, parsley, carrot tops etc. can help with Vitamin A. Wheat germ (2 teaspoons) or wheat germ oil (5-6 drops) over the pellets can help with Vitamin E. I realize that this is more difficult if you have 150 does than if you have only 5 or 10. And it is not a quick fix. It can take a couple of weeks to notice any difference. And it only helps if the problem is nutritional rather than due to other factors.

Yes I have 180 does and I am feeding 18% protein pellets same thing for years, bucks are also lazy, also I do have my lights on a timer, have been raising for 7 years and have not had this much trouble before

Have you turned some of the does over to check their receptivity? What time of day are you attempting the breedings? A lot of people find early morning to be best.

Feeding a pellet with a good protein content is important, of course, but the vitamins can still be lost. Maybe you could supplement a dozen or so does and see if they are more receptive at the end of a couple of weeks.

Yes I have checked and I do have better luck getting them to breed in the early morning hours,

We tend to breed best at night--go figure.

Having same issue---looks like we are finding some possible solutions--thanks MaggieJ!

Cereshill, it's good you have tried different times for breeding. I mentioned early morning because it is often overlooked by breeders. The rabbits are most alert dawn and dusk and before feeding. :)

I find our rabbits are most alert from evening on; I do not use lights either.

Our breeding issues at the farm are more acute; at home I feed a hybrid diet. As a result, breeding has been more successful.<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:26 pm __________<br /><br />I think the nutrition aspect is sorely underemphasized. Feeding greens year round is a massive help; I let four out to graze today and a reticent doe bred tonight---they ate all afternoon and were docile, happy and obviously glad to have a varied diet. Their manure is still normal too.
I am finding that most manufactured rabbit feed is lacking; remember it is a small market and thus we get cheaper/older ingredients. I am aiming to make our own feed by end Summer...
Stay tuned!

Defintitely will stay tuned, CH.

I've always believed that the best "medicine" is found in the feed bowl. When I got my first meat mutts, they were not in the best of condition, but when I added dandelions and plantain to their diet (two plants I knew even then were safe), they perked up amazingly. I know I am always on about the benefits of "fresh" :roll: but I really believe it helps.

I have updated elsewhere some of our feed changes: more greens, changing firms and going to a custom organic later this summer. Does are becoming more receptive, our scrawny rabbits at the farm have filled out---they were free fed so it wasn't for lack of food....

Latest posts

Back