Register

When does it become harassment?

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,598.00

When does it become harassment?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:00 pm

My story (the short version)
I live in a subdivision.
Got rabbits Nov 2015
Housed them in my heated detached garage
Spring came... Changing pans and getting rid of the poop became more difficult and smelly because I couldn't just dump it in the garden.
Neighbour called the town... complained..... moved rabbits to a farm in a neighbouring town. (15 minute drive)
Neighbour also complained that we had dug up our whole back yard and planted a garden.
By-law officer said as long as the yard did not contain refuse... I can grow food in my back yard.

Today:
Got a call from by-law officer
Neighbour sent him a photo and told them that I had rabbits in the garage again.
I DON'T
I left the sunflower stalks for the birds to eat seeds and really we were still getting stuff out of the garden a couple of weeks ago.

The by-law guy is nice and went to school with my husband...
I told him a would nock down the sunflower stalks and pull out the dead tomato plants.... but there wasn't any rabbits in the garage and I rented space at a barn. I invited him to go in the garage and look... He asked (very nicely) for us to clean up the garden and he would deal with the rest.
The photo is from the feed that pops up on facebook "one year ago" I shared.. thinking it was funny that only a year ago I "fell down the rabbit hole"

Needless to say I'm "Hopping" mad about this harassment!
So, being the good neighbour I am.. I posted another photo (an old one from in the garage) saying how it is hard to believe I started with just 5 rabbits... and now number 36 with 9 in the nest box....
Mental note made to do same thing again in a month... and the month after and the month after that.... Also, get large potted evergreens and put along fence so he cannot see into my yard.

I'm just giving this guy rope to hang himself with.....
:D
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,628.00

Re: When does it become harassment?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Even here in the middle of nowhere (although on a tourist highway) we've had complaints a few times over the past 15 years. You can never get away from it entirely. If it needs fixing, we fix it. If it's nonsense (like saying our geese had no shelter in winter) we show it to be nonsense. So far, so good.

But I do understand how frustrated you are feeling. Hang in there! :autumn:

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,900.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 pm

We've gotten far far worse. Being in this house is the best so far but some guy went around reporting the whole block. Our neighbors that had parked a boat in their yard for going on 30 years were ordered to move it. We kept stashing away garden materials and put the topper back on the truck because it mentioned car parts on the paper but in the end when we finally asked what out of the list of things to improve in our yard they were actually upset about it was a stack of firewood left by the previous owners. It could harbor animals... not like the entire foundation of the house next door that has holes in it and possums come out of them to get in my shed. I also had rabbits stolen and this guy in these overlooking apartments slamming on my door (which I did not answer) because of us keeping animals in the yard and through cool rain storms (with shelter). We've got 3 suspects... the guy who is crazy about landscaping to the last detail, the realtor selling the house next door (which should be condemned), or the other neighbor thinks it's this guy with a stick up his butt at the other end of the block. Someone also slashed my husband's tires and the neighbor's tires. Broke into my truck and got my pellet rifles but then left them in the yard probably after realizing they were just air powered with no ammo around. That's after we chained all our gates shut and had someone chop down a decorative tree next to the gate for reasons unknown... Did they get frustrated we chained the gate shut, go home to get some branch cutters, and then destroy our tree? It's not like people walk around with those all the time. Luckily I don't care about the tree except I had to throw the branches over our fence which added to our reported "brush pile" of 99% stacked firewood.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,677.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 pm

Yowza, so glad I live in the country.

Sorry, y'all are having these issues.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

This is far improved from the screaming at us in the middle of the night, calling the police, calling the hoa, and calling the city when it all failed. Then the steadily increasingly aggressive note exchange with threatened legal action. All over the noise a rabbit in a 1 story cage can make and fixing some late night meals. Some were also there for the eviction by my aunt when she went a bit crazy said she understood I liked animals and then flipped over a well laid out flight cage for budgies in the small bedroom. Double layered floor protection wasn't enough for a little parakeet poop apparently.
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer

2 years of membership2 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 1,090.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby bikegurl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:16 pm

These stories make me so thankful to live where I do...we moved onto a dead-end street in a dying inner-city neighborhood and so far (4 years), we have had no problems. Even the time when a cop on a power trip called BOTH the SPCA and Animal Control because she saw illegal roosters in our yard, we only got a mild warning. We did have to remove the roosters (like 10 or so of them!), and they explained that the ducks, quail, and hens were all illegal. (Hens are only legal with a permit for 5 of them and yearly fee of $25!!) We were advised to reduce our hen flock to 5 and apply for a permit to the city, and apply for variances for the various other fowl, but nothing was ever followed up on, except the roosters. They were actually all full of praise about our operation and very impressed with everything...fish, rabbits, pigeons, quail, chickens....lol. I tend to be rather paranoid and extra cautious regarding information that I disclose about my animals since reading these awful stories of harassment and vandalism, etc..., but so far, though we live in an area some people avoid even driving through, we have had no issues. (Now I may have jinxed myself... ;) )

Post Number:#7  Unread postby akane » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 pm

It's just not worth the hoops you have to jump through to have a few hens here. Then no roosters and no hatching eggs which is part of the fun. You have to have a receipt showing you bought the hens from an individual or feed store. Leg band them, take a class on chickens, build a coop with a raised floor that keeps all rodents out and uses consistent materials. That's if you fall within the distance requirements from any house in the first place. There were chickens here but seeing all the rules and not being in condition to deal with winter I butchered them all.

Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby bikegurl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Same here...we just decided to do them under the radar as long as possible. Thankfully there is a new 'Green Code' going through at some point soon that will make certain aspects of raising chickens in the city much easier.

Post Number:#9  Unread postby akane » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:47 am

We want some seramas just for pets and while they say specifically no chickens in the house a serama is smaller than a parrot. Like we joke on the chicken forum they are malaysian ground parrots not chickens. :lol: I debate if my neighbor would report a tiny rooster crowing quieter than some of the parrots we've debated but one neighbor I think is raising pigeons in his attic and one neighbor hasn't moved in because the house he bought should have been condemned and I wonder if he regrets it. Maybe but probably not the neighbors across the street or another one over could hear or people walking by. They've seen chickens in the yard before though so they might not think anything of it. I keep debating the risks because I don't want seramas if I can't hatch tiny little seramas and their eggs don't ship well.

Female

Post Number:#10  Unread postby bikegurl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 am

My husband wants to hatch eggs too, so we have debated the risks/possibilities involved in keeping a rooster long enough to fertilize the hens. This new Green Code that is coming out *someday* actually says you can keep chickens of unknown gender for 6 months....which may be long enough to fertilize the hens. But, we still need to wait for that code to pass before we can feel comfortable trying that.
Pigeons are actually legal here, but we let ours fly, and a hawk ate them. The squab is so good though, we want to find those big utility pigeons and raise them...unfortunately, sine the hawks are a problem, we won't be able to let them forage for themselves.... Quail are decently quiet and small enough to pretty much slide under the radar...since they aren't legal. :roll:

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby AnnClaire » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:54 am

Yeah, my chickens (5 hens, 1 big red rooster), pair of ducks, and rabbits are all under cover.

I have it good tho, the Animal Control officer thinks I spoil my animals and said if he didn't have to notice my animals, I could have as many or whatever I wanted :P

I keep saying that miniature cattle would do very well here if only they were categorized as pets rather than livestock :D

As it is, I am very pleased with how much food I can produce from this city lot!
cheers - AnnClaire

Post Number:#12  Unread postby akane » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:55 am

Quail are so freaking stupid and violent. I do mean relative to overall small livestock since some have tamed their coturnix considerably. I might not mind keeping an established pair or trio for eggs or raising very small numbers for early butchering but I tried to keep buttons and I raised 200 coturnix once. The ways they could find to kill themselves and each other in a basic brooder..... Then there was the problem of them scalping each other to the point of death if they didn't get gender separated or butchered soon enough (which was always just some random day they felt like breeding all at once rather than a specific age) or if I tried to introduce a new one to a breeding group. I debate it but I would probably regret getting into them again.