Prices for vet work on rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
I have a Flemish giant buck that is 11 weeks old and I want to get an idea of when to neuter and how much it cost you.

Also if anyone has any information on amputating a rabbits hind leg. This little buck was steppe on while in the box and I never really even noticed it till he was jumping out of the box and running around. He can lift it to scratch his face but it stick out at a horrible angle and I feel so sorry for him. I feel like if he survived this ordeal I could turn him into a pet. Anyone have any experience in this? I need to figure out if its closer to a few hundred or a grand to have done.

Surgery and pain meds for rabbits is VERY expensive. You have to have an exotic vet that deals with them on a regular basis. It is HIGH risk even with the best of care.

Neutering varies depending on your area. I suggest getting out the feelers, ask people and dig out the phone book to call any in the area. Nearest one here is 4 hours one way. Neuter is 125.00 w/o pain meds, another 25.00 for a few days supply. That's not counting the tests/check up work they want to do PRIOR to if over a year (you don't have to, but they highly suggest to).

Amputating can be several hundred to several thousand, it depends on the extent of the amputation and how much after care they have to have plus if there's any complications during or after (blood transfusion, antibiotics, dressings, etc). They are not cats or dogs. Unless he is having trouble, fur is coming off or hurting himself further...leave it be. They would have to remove at the socket most likely and then stitch, hopefully he wouldn't have issues with the going under or stress the pain/discomfort will cause and not have a GI upset. Again very risky.

Back