Breeding FG buck to SF doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Since my laptop kinda gave up the ghost on me I've had a LOT of time to think about things I can do with my rabbits. I've been thinking about more cages and breeds.
Here's my most current thoughts, I love FG but do not want to see my feed bill from owning one. So my thoughts was I find a breeder somewhere not to far from me and ask if I can maybe borrow a buck for breeding, I would probably let the person have pick of the litter or pay them or something.
The problem with my thought is, I don't know any breeders but I could find one.. Also I want to breed the buck to one of my SF does, I think it would be a nice mix of large boned and lots of meat.
What are the risks of me breeding these too? Is it possible for the babies to grow to the full size of a FG? Or would it be some kind of happy median ( like a 15lb or so bunny)

I think it's usually not a good idea to pair a larger breed buck with a smaller breed doe--whether rabbits or goats or whatever. Think about the size of the babies and the problem that could be at kindling.

Depending on the size of the FG, I think a standard size (10-12 lb) silver fox doe could handle it. Nothing smaller, but good sized commercial meat does seem to be able to handle just about anything.

People put FG bucks over similarly sized NZ does often enough.

The babies would probably only grow about the same size as their dam, maybe a little bit bigger. Just large meat mutts.
Really good flemish size is hard enough to come by even in purebreds.

The biggest issue is actually disease. Would you be able to take responsibility if the buck caught something from your doe? Would you be OK if your doe caught something from the buck?

I figured a big enough SF doe could handle it.I don't think I wanna risk sickness so maybe I'll either make sure they are very clean and trust worthy or I'll buy a buck later on. I was kinda wondering if they'd stay same size I was curious though because I have a 12 lb. SF buck who when put with my little 9 lb. NZ-Chin doe had babies that are already bigger in size than she is and only about 4 months old. They are not up to her weight but height and length they've outgrown her. Plus when I bred my Lion head to her the little buck is about 5lbs and full grown now. I breed for size, friendliness, and hardiness.

I would be surprised if you found a good breeder who loans out stock.

You might get a bit larger size with that combo. But I would think you would have to buy a buck.

if I had to buy one I'd probably get a doe and breed the SF buck to her. I was kinda hoping for bigger meat rabbits since I know SF have a high amount of meat, I wanna say 65% of live weight. I know FG are big boned. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one. But I have no clue about anything to do with them so a few months of research will ensue and then I'll see if I still want one. Yeah I was kinda doubtful a breeder would let me borrow a buck haha.

Latest posts

Back