Inside Kits - Mom soaking them at feedings

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillowTreeJen

Reaction score
(Our first litter) We brought the kits in after losing 3 of the initial 6. Now we bring mom to them as the weather is so cold, and she was not catching on the first few days about feeding. Kits are now 9 days old, mom is sitting patiently at each feeding like a champ (!) but we noticed yesterday that kits are SOAKED when they are done feeding. Mostly hind ends, last night one was from head to toe. Mom doesn't clean them - she's jumps out ASAP and wants away. Is this milk? We are washing them, is this ok? Help is appreciated. We don't want to lose any more.

It could be milk, it could be momma's urine or it could be the kits are urinating at that time because of the activity. I suggest you sniff the wet kits--you should be able to tell milk from urine. Since it is mainly the hind quarters getting wet, I would guess that it is the kits' urine and that momma is just neglecting to clean them. Don't get them any wetter than necessary when cleaning them to prevent chilling. Something absorbent under the kits at feeding time may help minimize the problem.

Thanks - I'm guessing milk, as it doesn't have a strong odor. Would moms milk take a week to come in? We have been "spot" bathing those that need it and drying off with a warmed towel and time on a wrapped heating pad, before going back in the box - so that no one gets chilled.

WillowTreeJen":20owc7nb said:
Thanks - I'm guessing milk, as it doesn't have a strong odor. Would moms milk take a week to come in? We have been "spot" bathing those that need it and drying off with a warmed towel and time on a wrapped heating pad, before going back in the box - so that no one gets chilled.

It wouldn't take a week for her milk to come in (kits "starve out" at about three days maximum) but it could be that her supply exceeds the demand at present. Milk flow does adjust to demand, but with there being six at first and now only three, it could be a temporary surplus. (I'm guessing here . . . never encountered this exact problem.)

Sounds to me like you're doing great dealing with the situation. :goodjob:

Stephanie":7g7k8zfi said:
MaggieJ":7g7k8zfi said:
I suggest you sniff the wet kits--you should be able to tell milk from urine.

:shock:

Really, Stephanie? :p

Okay, a bit gross, maybe . . . But people raising critters of any kind need to use ALL their senses . . . Sight alone is not enough.

:lol: Yeah, I can't honestly post all of the "gross" things I've done over the years in the name of care for my animals. Ha ha ha!! Some are worse than what I've done for my biological kids! ;)

Back