Very pleased!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I decided a couple of months ago, as I was preparing for this year's breeding season, to up the protein level on my nursing does to see how much difference, if any, it would make. I don't keep real tight records. But last year I tracked a couple of litters and found they performed pretty much on par with standard meat breeder expectations, based on a chart that was posted here. I have been using Manna Pro 16% feed all along. This year, I picked up a few bags of their 18% formula feed for nursing does, and I have been feeding my does that since about a week before they kindled. I currently have two litters of 5 each. And today, they are 2 weeks old. According to the chart I have, their expected weight at 2 weeks is 8 oz. And, last year, that is right about where they were at 2 weeks. I just weighed the two litters. One had a total weight of 47.184 oz, and the other was 44.448 oz. That gives averages kit weight for the two litters of 9.437, and 9.163. That's about an 18% increase in weight gain over last year. And the difference in price for the feed was about 2 cents a pound. I should easily be able to cut growout time from 10 weeks to 9 weeks, or less. So, the cost of feeding them is actually better now, though the feed costs a bit more, since I won't need to feed them as long.

Back