How is everyone doing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for asking. :)
Life has it's ups and downs.

My homestead has gotten a bit smaller. Work and life being generally interfering things.

I am still raising the occasional litter of magpie harlequins, and hatching a few coturnix quail here and there.
The first deer of the year is in the freezer, and I've been helping butcher some larger livestock for portions of meat to take home.

On old dog passed away, and another "preowned" canine has joined the family.

Introducing Djenna. :love:

Pretty sure she's a pomchi. She weighs 6.1 lbs.

I was told she was six years old, and had been used for back to back breeding most of her life.

She was eventually sold off or given away to another breeder when she was deemed less of an asset to the original breeding program.
The second breeder really saved her, I think.
She had her shaved due to fleas and excessive matting, and a month was spent rehabilitating the shy little animal.

She also had a rather large hernia.

Her add actually stated most of that, and showed a very nervous looking girl. It also stated that she preferred men over women.

I dunno, I just knew that she was the one that needed us as much as we needed her, you know?

Pic from the add, how could this not tug at heartstrings?

20161117_174748.jpg

We just had her shots done, spayed, teeth fixed, and her hernia repaired at the same time.
She was all tuckered out after that much vetting.

20161201_214408.jpg

Her potty habits are perfect. Zero inclination to roam. Listens well, but is sensitive, as expected.

What's really coming coming around is her confidence and personality.

She actually prefers the women of the house. She sleeps with only my daughter or I. She follows me everywhere, seeking my daughter out if I'm not available.

She's always going to be a bit of an insecure type, I think, but she's sweet, affectionate, and not at all nippy or yippy.
I guess, what I needed out of a dog during this phase of my life is a little different then the ultimate child and animal friendly pittbull we adopted 11 years ago. Or the giant friendly Newf my daughter wanted 6 years ago. (still part of the family.)
This time, I seem to have needed someone small and needy, for the purpose of fussing over, and doting on.

Djenna 1.jpg

Depends on the day and sometimes the moment. The new puppy has reduced me to tears when I turns around and there's poop and pee everywhere. When it pees it has to spread it to 2 or 3 puddles. Then the husky is still not fully housebroken and thinks she should join in which is a much bigger mess. I will spend all day taking them out and taking them out and suddenly I take a couple hour break on the computer and there is mess everywhere including sometimes pee on the blankets on the bed or the blankets pulled down on to the floor first! Mostly having a puppy is good. A couple times I just had to check out and tell my husband to deal with it. Trying new meds which gives good and bad days too. My doctor tried a bipolar med to stabilize my low days and it was basically depression in a bottle and my brain wouldn't work. He thinks it is beneficial though so he had them compound a liquid to greatly reduce the dose. I love doing japanese sword but I miss about every other week and the past 2 weeks with meds and puppies. ugh weekend get here just so I have help all day and can do activities outside maybe on saturday. Then we are due for rain-snow to start sunday.

Zass, Djenna seems lovely. She looks very happy in her new home.
Akane, hope your days continue to get better and the dogs continue to learn. :)
As for me, We've moved which is okay and I'm still raising an occasional litter of Dutch and still want to find something fuzzy as a pet. I'm also learned to go with the flow.

I'm kind of giving up on fuzzy. I need to go through the guinea pigs again and keep culling out. I have found snakes (thinking of lizards) are much better for me. I setup full ecosystems for them. Bio-active enclosures. With a mix of soil ingredients and drainage layers to make a natural floor, natural rock and wood, and then all the beneficial soil critters. I find it just as much fun to watch the soil critters lol The critters are also your cleanup crew so you don't have snake poop or anything to deal with. You just feed them, clean their water, and keep it filled once an enclosure is setup. Every few months I might have something I need to fix. It's far more convenient than guinea pigs or rabbits. I worry about their food about once a week depending on snake and age and I clean or rearrange things when I'm having a good day. If I have a bad day and spend it in bed nothing happens to them. If I want to go away for the weekend nothing happens to them. At worst I get someone to see that their lights are coming on and off. I don't want to fully give up on the giant cuy project and gerbils though. I am having a heck of a time with pest rodents and gerbils though. I just had a litter, a pup from their previous litter, and then the adult pair attacked. The adults survived but were cold and stressed from the attack and one is missing a tail. I had to heat lamp them all last night. If I can't get these pest mice under control gerbils may be temporarily impossible to keep healthy and safe.

This year is ending much different for us than what it started. Some things good, some sad. We lost our family dog of 13 years and my sweet Grandpa in June this year. Both my husband and I have different jobs. We moved to a new house. The elementary school here has a new building, my daughter goes there. A position I loved and poured a lot of time into (it was volunteer) replaced me, when I wanted to continue. I saw myself in this volunteer position for many years to come.

The bunnies are doing pretty well. We lost an adult female a week ago, and are watching everyone else close but so far all is good. Our 4-H bunnies are 3 weeks old tomorrow, and just so cute! We have each other, lots of food, and a warm place to call home. So although there have been many changes, all in all we are still Thankful!

macksmom98, change is good. Yes, I still have the rabbits but I've learned to scale back a bit. Yes, I enjoy them very much but I'm not raising to every show to be competitive. I'm raising them because I enjoy them.

I also have a new to me vehicle. You know, a lot has been positive. Both of our jobs are amazing! And I work for a financial advisor so now that our income is back on the rise we have been able to start saving for retirement again. And just getting ahead. The transitions were tough, car shopping was tough (especially because it was due to an accident that was not my fault), moving was stressful, and saying "goodbye" to our beloved pet and family member was hard, as was letting go of the volunteer position that I loved so much. But our home is bigger and suits us better, my new vehicle was an upgrade and I enjoy the new features it provides, and I have so much more time now that I am not volunteering. I think I will wait to finish my degree then look for a new volunteer opportunity. So all in all it has worked out for the best! Many memories to come in 2017, and I do hope we get to coast for a while now:)

Latest posts

Back