HELP: Orphaned newborn kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mafornes

Reaction score
I just got 4 newborn bunnies from a friend. The bunny mom die and I'm trying to get these little ones to survive.
Two of them have some kind of sores on the skin, kind of like the ones we people get inside the mouth. Here is a picture. Does anybody know what this could be? They are inside the house, no ants or anything like that.
Thanks

Hello Mafornes and welcome to RabbitTalk. :hi:

I edited your title to add specifics of your problem--you will get better responses that way.

Newborn bunnies are very hard to raise without a doe. Their best chance is to have a foster mom for them, but if this is impossible, try the suggestions in these threads:
updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html
formula-feeding-baby-bunnies-pics-vids-t3691.html
tips-for-handraising-kits-t2486.html

Don't be too downhearted if the lil ones don't make it. Some people manage to save at least part of a litter, but infant bunnies are very hard to hand-feed. If they were a bit older, they'd have a better chance.

No idea what the sores could be offhand. Your picture is not showing.

What did the mother rabbits die from? Did she have sores anywhere, especially on her genitals or around her mouth?

Is not letting post the picture. The mom died having the babies. Not sure how. I don't know if she had any sores. My friend says she never noticed anything on her

Welcome to RT!

Unfortunately those sores might be a red flag - I know you are trying to post pictures, which will definitely be helpful. Are there any milky/puss filled blisters? Or raised spots with indents in the middle? I had a doe that I knew had been exposed to snuffles/pasteurella but never showed any signs herself. She was already pregnant so I left her to kindle. The kits were born and I started noticing weird blisters - one member suggested possible ants which is what makes me think they might look similar (i never did find any in the area or nest box). At about 5 weeks old I heard a sneeze. *hmmmm* Didn't see anything right away. A few days later I saw the culprit - itty bitty bunny with a nose full of white snot... I had to cull the whole litter plus the mama doe :cry:

Do you know what the doe died from? Any symptoms - watery eyes, wet nose, sneezing?

-- Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:03 pm --

Found the link for my original thread...

blisters-or-something-on-5-day-old-kit-t25863.html?hilit=blisters%20kits

Latest posts

Back