Judging a Doe's Readiness and Breeding Tips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petlover500":2dp7f075 said:
Thank you so much MamaSheepdog!!
This is very very helpful :D

You're welcome! "A picture is worth a thousand words" they say! ;) You can read about color and size changes all day long, but until you actually see it you don't really know what you are looking for, lol.

ipoGSD":2dp7f075 said:
What do the does area look like during pregnancy and what does it look like when they are about to kindle?

I don't really ever check them during pregnancy, but that is a good idea... conveniently, I just bred three does, so I will try to remember to check them periodically.

As for what the vent looks like just prior to giving birth, I have only one experience to share.

I once had a mixed group of does and bucks left together too long in a growout pen, and was palpating and checking the does over to see if any were pregnant. I didn't feel any kits in one doe, so checked her vent, and was horrified to find it HUGELY swollen and discolored- it must have been at least the diameter of a dime! Well, lo and behold, a couple of hours later she started giving birth on the wire. :shock: :oops: :shock:

Thankfully, I was still working in the rabbit area, so was able to quickly get her a nestbox and saved the kits. :)

Well I replied to this the other day but I guess I didn't hit post lol

Anyway, ty MSD, I was hoping you would think this was a good idea :) you know your stuff and I appreciate everything I've read from you. (Been reading lots of new and old posts)

I look forward to your pics :)

ipoGSD":383sr5c4 said:
Well I replied to this the other day but I guess I didn't hit post lol

I've done that a time or twenty myself! :oops: :lol:

ipoGSD":383sr5c4 said:
Anyway, ty MSD, I was hoping you would think this was a good idea :) you know your stuff and I appreciate everything I've read from you. (Been reading lots of new and old posts)

Thank you for the compliment! I must confess that although I read all I could find prior to and in the early stages of raising rabbits, that finding RT is where the real learning began. You just can't beat the wealth of knowledge of our wonderful members here. :D

You're very welcome :)

I'm not sure what it means but, ebonys area is a deeper pink, not too swollen. Rubys area is very light pink and not swollen at all. (Like pic #1 in this thread)

When I thought they were close to kindling they seemed pretty close in their cycles. Which is why I thought they were both getting ready to have their kits. (Deep pink and swollen)

Not sure if rabbits sync up in cycles like us humans do and even dogs. But but this could prove to be good info for the possible new sticky ;)

I'll keep checking and update any differences, to attempt to help offer any info towards finding out differences between pregnant and non pregnant areas. And if I see what looks like a ready doe, I will breed. I don't want to miss a cycle if that's what it is.

Ps I have also been learning alotttttt from this site. There are so many people here that know their stuff!! :)

-- Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm --

Rubys area is still very white-white-ish pink and slim

Ebonys is still a little darker and a little thicker. (Nothing like the ready doe pics tho)

Not sure if this info will prove useful. But ya never know <br /><br /> -- Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:30 am -- <br /><br /> Hi MSD, any pics to show what a pregnant does area looks like if pregnant?

So I had a random question but why would a female mount a buck???? Lol I had tried it the other day he mounted her then they chased then she mounted him and I was like "crap don't tell me they gave me an other buck" I grabbed her and checked and nope she was a girl for sure lol I was just wondering why she would do so,etching like that, is it good or bad, and or how would it affect the buck for he seemed a little off put after that. Took him a while to get back into the groove lol. Thanks also for all the helpfully information being posted!!!

CynthiaG":22h97l2m said:
So I had a random question but why would a female mount a buck???? Lol I had tried it the other day he mounted her then they chased then she mounted him and I was like "crap don't tell me they gave me an other buck" I grabbed her and checked and nope she was a girl for sure lol I was just wondering why she would do so,etching like that, is it good or bad, and or how would it affect the buck for he seemed a little off put after that. Took him a while to get back into the groove lol. Thanks also for all the helpfully information being posted!!!

My guess is would be to show dominance. You see this a lot in dogs.

There can be several reasons, trying to establish dominance can be one. It can also be communication to him that she wants him to do it back:) Whatever the reason, its totally normal. Its common to see Does mounting each other too. That is why its advisable that they are not housed with others, as it can cause stress and false pregnancies even with 2 females:)

Lol ok glad it's normal. I know dogs do it cause my female coonhound will mount any dog in sight so they know she's the hbic lol. Thanks y'all :)

Wow!! This is great, and i loved the pictures. i alwasy re-breed after eight hours in case the sperm washes away, and i am glad you told about those vitamin and viniger stuff; i have had problems with great breedings and no litters. :angry: thanks!!! :D

I recently got my first pair of English Lops (I've been raising Mini Lops).
The doe is 6 months and the buck 10. Would those who have raised this breed agree with things I've read that a good age to wait to breed an E Lop doe is 9 months? or is it more based on weight?

Thanks!

I am a new rabbit owner and bought 3 does and 3 bucks from a lady getting rid of them. I have one white of each - doe and buck, 1 grey/brown of each - doe and buck, and 1 black of each - doe and buck. My question is can I cross breed them or do I need to stay same color to same color?

Even when you breed same color to same color, hidden traits can show up in babies. Even when breeding for specific colors all we can do is prioritise our probabilities and keep our fingers crossed. So if you dont care then there's no need to worry about it too much and just breed those you feel like breeding together.

Latest posts

Back