What to do with chopped up leaves?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a whole pile of them! With more to come - Yay! Now... to decide what to do with them. I just covered my garlic (I think every clove I planted sprouted, and thanks to a warm streak they are probably 8" tall! No rain though, so I have been watering with a bucket - hopefully they won't be too small or get killed off my cold weather since they have done more than just sprout). I am going to spread a layer in all of the raised garden beds. I have a couple areas I want to mulch to decrease my mowing time and then plant bird/butterfly/bee friendly plants in. Probably a little for my worm bin, and a couple other smaller areas I want to start planting in. Is there anything else I should do with them? I want to get a compost pile started with rabbit and chicken manure as well... I could add some to it, but I don't remember the green/brown ratio for proper heating/decomposing. Any thing I need to know about using it? (I can see there being "rules" that I don't know about) Or other good uses for it?

Sounds to me like you've found some great uses for them. They should do fine in the compost piles--especially layered with manure. We save bags of whole maple leaves for the goats to munch in winter, but I don't think chopped leaves would be so good to feed. Have you thought of mixing some with whatever you use on the floor of your chicken coop--if you have chickens.

Soil bugs looooove them and they are great for controlling moisture. I think part of the reason one of the family farms has awesome soil is that the leaves are not raked. They are finely mowed into bits and break down by mid spring. They insulate temp and moisture while adding organics. I put leaf mulch in my natural snake enclosures I've started lately to maintain a natural ecosystem that breaks down all the waste with no effort on my part.

Latest posts

Back