They Never Cease To Amaze Me

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
If you recall about 11 months ago I had a litter of Light Gray Flemish and lost the doe at birth. Through the use a modified hand feeding formula they all survived. If you're not familiar with that story you can read about it here: http://rabbittalk.com/updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html

A month and a half ago I loaded up a good looking doe along with her brother and sister and went to a show in Penrose CO. There were some friends bringing their Flemish so asked Frank to bring his best breeder buck so we could try it on my doe.

The show progressed and they (my friends) handed me my a$$ at the table. While the formula I used raised them all successfully their type was just to small for Giants. :x But...we bred Honey (Bugs Bunnies girlfriend) to a buck that had the biggest head I think I've ever seen! He is getting up there in age and his type is beginning to diminish a bit so wasn't shown that day.

Fast forward: October 28th Honey had 7 babies! They're two weeks old here. :D

Oct 28 2016 babies.jpg

Guess it made all the work a year ago worth it. Just hope I get some larger bunnies out of it. :cheesysmile:

They look great, Homer!

:congratulations:

Once they get their eyes open and are nibbling solids, the chances of needing hand-feeding mercifully declines. I once had to wean a kit completely at 17 days, and he did fine on moistened oatmeal plus the same hay and greens he'd have got in the colony. I offered dry oatmeal as well and within a few days he was eating that in preference to the mush.

MaggieJ":2sgzj4nh said:
They look great, Homer!

:congratulations:

Once they get their eyes open and are nibbling solids, the chances of needing hand-feeding mercifully declines.
Oh how I hope so Maggie! She retained a kit (10 days!) and now I am starting Pen-G on her. She went off her feed and water last night so we shall see.

"They breed like rabbits" they say....They never raised any though!
"There not any trouble" see comment #1
"They don't make any noise" yup, #1 again.

:runhills:

Hope the Pen G helps her, Homer! :good-luck:"

"They breed like rabbits" they say....They never raised any though!
"There not any trouble" see comment #1
"They don't make any noise" yup, #1 again.

:runhills:

Yes, they can sure drive you crazy! :x :pullhair: :runaround:

Well, she got her first round of Pen G yesterday and this morning she seems a little more active. Got her to eat a little cilantro last night with a bit of probiotic powder on it and a few pellets. This morning she had a little fresh oatmeal with more probiotics on it so maybe she feels a little better. <fingers crossed>

Maybe I'll try a bit of banana on her later.

Well, the Pen G did the trick and they turned 4 weeks old Thanksgiving. Two of the grays are a few oz. behind the others in growth but right now I don't think I'll supplement feed them. They're weighed every few days now and their ears numbered with a sharpy for tracking.

4 weeks with mom.jpg

Back