Need inspiration for Rabbit Shed/Building

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
Hi all! I am very happy to say that I am moving and will be looking into building a proper "rabbit shed" for all my lovelies.. I'd LOVE to see pictures of your set up.. I currently have 6 holes, but would like to double that at least.. So I need a shed about 10x15 or so I'm guessing once you get the cages etc all in there... Would love to have some room to store hay and shavings etc as well.. just looking for inspiration and photos to show my boyfriend so he has a better idea than I could give him already..

We are in Nova Scotia Canada.

Sorry, but I don't remember what breed you raise. How big are your cages and are they stacked?

I raise Hollands and Netherlands. Also have a mini satin. The ones I have now are stacked. THey are 24x24 cages (though I would love to have some larger).

No pictures to show as my buns are under a covered carport, but a few ideas for you.

We keep one bale of hay in an oversized, heavy duty plastic garbage can out with the rabbits. Additional bales of hay are kept in the loft of our storage shed. A lofted shed is so useful for storage- hay, nestboxes, travel cages, etc.

If you have room, I would lay out with tape on the ground the dimensions of the shed you are planning, and then mark off cafes, storage, etc and get a real idea of what size shed you need. Just keep in mind windows and doors.

Good luck!

You need a barn... a big barn with lots of stalls ... and $$$$ lots of $$$ for more stacking cages....
( :lol: not much help... but it is true!!)

I moved my rabbits to a horse farm. I have a stall full of stacked cages... The lady I rent from is nice enough to let me use another stall to store my hay and "stuff" I currently have 10 -24x24, 4 -30x24 and 3 growout (2-30x30, 1- 24X30).... I have an assorted gunk cages that I am planning on making another 24x24 four high tower and stacking the other cages to make some space for all the bunnies I have growing out.... lol

The stall I believe is 8ft X8FT with an additional stall at least that big storing hay and assorted "stuff"
so you need a shed 16ft x 8 ft minimum.... full barn would be much better... :D

Not sure if that helps? :lol:

Well I failed to mention he will also need to build a barn for my horses haahha but i'd like them in seperate barns to minimize too much stress to the rabbits with traffic , noise and people messing with them etc. So alright, I need two 40x30 barns then.. got it!

My rabbit shed just LOOKS like a barn. Not really a barn...

It's a 12 x 8 feet shed with the typical barn roof and loft area, painted in classic barn red. Though as I have to "share" the shed with the lawnmower and other gardening supplies, it's already a little cramped with a 3 hole cage stack in there. Expansion of my "rabbittry" will require either mad Tetris skills, or more outbuildings.

If you really are going to be building a barn for horses, I'd suggest at least thinking about closing off a room in that for the rabbits. We started with a shed and it only held 6 cages and it was a tight fit getting out the trays for cleaning and very little room for storage. Last summer we built a barn and planned a rabbit area inside it to close it off from the rest of the space. Of course the main improvement is having more space for more cages. But we also found this summer that it was cooler than the shed had been. Maybe it is having windows on 2 sides so there is cross ventilation. Or having a large loft overhead so that the sun on the roof is more distant from the rabbit space. Ours are used to the noises we make in that area and because it has doors to close it off, we can decide who to take in and see the rabbits.
Good luck with whatever you decide. There are quite a few posts here on RT showing different set-ups. Just remember that any such project is harder, takes longer, costs more than you thought.

SANY0004-1_zps097e71c5.jpg

SANY0040.jpg

Just a few observations about buildings for critters in general . . . Consider your prevailing winds. When we built a chicken house, later a goose house and then a rabbit and goose house, we built it 16 by 8 feet with the north wall without windows. Single windows on the west and east are easily made winter-proof by the addition of plexiglass over them. Three windows along the south side plus the a people door and pop-hole provide excellent ventilation even in the heat of summer. We were lucky enough to be able to build in the lea of our workshop/greenhouse and at a slightly lower level, so the critter house stays pretty comfortable. It is well shaded on the south and west by large trees, which is another plus.

I mention all this because I think siting the house and considering ventilation are of prime importance . . . and since you are starting from scratch, you can easily take these things into consideration.

Latest posts

Back