Is this normal for a doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SetskiesD

Reaction score
Hi,
My doe had her 2nd litter 10 days ago. She is a Netherland Dwarf and delivered 5 live kits and 1 dead. This is her first successful litter. She and the babies are used to me but it seems that whenever anyone else comes around or she is frightened the first thing she does when the person or thing leaves is jump in the nesting box and FEEDS the babies (their bellies are full when she jumps out) and licks them. I'm wondering if this is normal or not. So far they're nice and healthy but I know she feeds them more than twice a day.

They often jump in the nestbox when they get frightened. Maybe she gets distracted and starts feeding the babies when she's in there ;)

"Is this normal for a doe?" Yup, I've had Flemish Giants that you would swear they have to be drying up because of the number of times they'd feed a day. The first couple weeks it's not unusual for them to feed 2 or 3 times a day. It depends on how much the Doe can produce and if the babies will eat it. Once they start nibbling on some of mom's groceries around the hutch they'll slow down on milk and she'll stop producing as much. That is provided you keep shallow bowls of water available 24x7 for everybunny.

As for "checking" her litter when company leaves, mine would do that too. They usually won't go to the nest if they think something isn't right, (stranger danger). It's their way of trying to keep predators away from the nest rather than leading them there.

She'll slow down once they start coming out of the nest box. Enjoy it, her world is about to change.

Okay I'm glad this isn't anything to worry about. Thank you guys!! Also, my kits are 11 days old and 2 of the 5 have open eyes but it seems to be a tiny bit crusted close. Do I just let all of the kits open at their own time or do I need to do something?

Generally you just wait and let them open them. If they're crusty use a warm wash cloth on them a couple times a day. Once they open use a dab of Terramycin in each eye. Make sure they have a clean nest box and hutch too.

Back