Moving the Litter Box - Do I stand a chance?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittmane

Reaction score
I have two young (~7 months) female lionhead rabbits that live in an outdoor hutch. It's a nice hutch with one enclosed side and one mesh/ventilated - It is out of the wind inside a shed. When I first got them, I tried to get them to use the litter box I'd had with my old rabbit in the corner of the ventilated side. They, however, had other ideas and would only go in a corner of the enclosed side. I moved the litter box to that side, and they've since learned to use it - with most of the droppings/etc. ending up there. However, I was hoping to move it back out because I want to bed that side with straw once colder weather arrives (like I did with my last bunny) so they've got a warm place to snuggle up. When I tried to move it last week, they just continued to do their business in their selected corner. Is there any hope of getting them to move it out , or am I stuck trying to keep that corner open for a litter box AND put straw in (without losing too much of it to litter)? Any advice would be appreciated!

You are probably out of luck trying to move the litter box. I always say "you don't train the rabbit to use the litter box; the rabbit trains you where to place the liter box.

As for your options, is stuffing the enclosed portion really necessary? You don't have your location listed, which would be helpful in giving you a better answer. But if you are keeping this hutch in a shed that is relatively protected from the wind, and doesn't leak water or anything; then I think your rabbits would be fine without the straw. Keep in mind they have a fur coat on all the time. In all honesty with rabbits it is more of an issue with them getting too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. This is probably one of those situations where this idea benefits your peace of mind rather than benefiting your rabbits (vis-a-vis keeping them warm; they may enjoy playing with the straw or something like that).

But feel free to stuff the enclosed part with straw. I know some people who keep their rabbits outside in the elements will stuff their cages with hay. And it seems their rabbits do ok. It will just be a little extra effort cleaning up after them, which it sounds like you'd be ok doing.

Best of luck.

__________ Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 am __________

Oops double post. Corrected.

Don't whether this work rabbits but worked with kitten.

Are you able to move the litter box slightly closer to desired location.

It took us three weeks to move our kitten litter box from their desired stop in the dinning room to our desired stop in laundry. Moving at amount 30cm a day.

Thanks! That's basically what I figured. We are in Maryland - lots of rain in the winter, sometimes snow, sometimes a lot of snow. The shed doesn't leak and they are protected from the wind, so I'll just make sure they've got plenty of hay and their heated waterer. At least they have each other to snuggle with!

Latest posts

Back