Winterizing in Alabama

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few questions concerning winterizing my setup pictured below. I have installed hooks along the top and down two sides to hook a tarp up. The tart leaves one of the ends open and goes from top to bottom with very little opening. My thinking was to put a board up if needed to block that open side in. I am a little concerned about ventilation.

So, should I leave the one end open?

If I close the end up, Should I look to vent it some where else like the bottom or top?

What temp should I look to put the tarp up at?

Most winters where I am at, we see temps in the upper 20s and low 30s from time to time at night. We rarely get any snow. When we do it is gone in a day or two. They are under a back deck and the housing has a metal roof, so they really don't get wet.

Thanks for any suggestions and help that you can provide!

Attachments

• IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_5097.JPG
    IMG_5097.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_5129.JPG
    IMG_5129.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 891
It's Alabama... block the wind a little more and make sure they don't get wet and you are equal to what we call warm weather in Iowa before and after winter lol Mine have gone through -30F with just no wind or precipitation on them. I didn't really provide much beyond that except for a few does who could build a good enough nest to raise kits through that.

The only time I have tarped my cages was in anticipation of a hurricane. And that was to keep them dry. Beyond that, I don't do anything for temps, and it got down to 14°F here last winter. From everything I have read, the cold isn't an issue as long as they have someplace dry and wind-free, at least down to -10°. I've found that my buns seem the most comfortable with temps in the mid 30's to low 40's. And, I've only seen them hunker down when it got below 20 with some wind. Put on a sweater and a coat and don't take them off for a few days. That's what they feel like when we try to keep them as warm as we prefer.

Latest posts

Back