question about feeding pumpkin to rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We grew pumpkins for feeding to our goats, chickens and rabbits. The goats and chickens get them raw and eat the whole thing--just cut in half or wedges for easy access. I'd like to try feeding some to our rabbits and know that some on here feed pumpkin in some form--think i've seen seeds and canned pumpkin mentioned. Does anyone feed the whole pumpkin? Do you cook it or feed it raw? I know I should start with a small amount, but any suggestion about whether to start with seeds or with the "flesh" as I'd use for pies etc.?
We've had cold enough temps to kill or at least stop growth on the forage we've gathered through the growing season. I just started soaking wheat for fodder late last week when the temps dropped. None ready to feed yet and the temps are up this week. Hope we don't get mould before it's ready to feed.

I've fed pumpkin to rabbits plenty of times. Mine didn't like it much raw, but I found if I cut chunks and put it in the microwave--skin, flesh, pulp and seeds just as it comes from the pumpkin--they ate it more willingly. I also noticed that they liked the small pie pumpkins better than the large type, probably because they are sweeter. Pumpkin is especially useful at this time of year when we are moving from fall towards winter.

It won't be long until I'm sprouting wheat for our goose, Elsie, but for the moment she can still graze and the whole wheat we give her plus treats is still sufficient.

Just be persistent with feeding them the raw pumpkin. They will eventually warm up to it, at least mine did. Now when I put in raw pumpkin slices most of them gobble it it down rind and all.

My rabbits are used to lots of variety through the growing season. They don't always take to something new the first time it's offered even if eventually it becomes a favorite. This time of year, there is less variety so I think they'll go for the pumpkin. I'll try a little raw and then try a little cooked and see what happens. I like to provide as much variety as possible whatever the season.

Back