need help for kits who look like they wont make it!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted yesterday about my doe who had 9, 2 died, so she has 7 now. 3 of the are SUPER fat, 1 is looking good, not huge but not tiny. and three of them ARE TINY.

out of the tiny ones- only one is still pretty active, the other two are week and dont move a whole lot. i have been bringing them in at night bc it gets cold and i dont want her getting in the box for warmt, she has been known to do that. so i brought them out there and she went and nursed them right away, which i was happy about bt then i checked on them and they were all wet, so my questioning of was she peeing on them was answered. not sure why she woud do it tho. so i was going to bring them in an i saw that the 3 little ones still looked un feed. i tried to force feed them and only the 1 ate.. the other two did nothing.
so. do they even have a chance? im thinking no, but i would really love it if they made it.... what else can i do for them?

Do you have a really small gauge needle and syringe? If you have say a tuberculin needle, or even smaller- like diabetics use, get a few drops of glucose solution (sold to treat ketosis in cattle) under their skin. That should provide some energy for them. Also, every couple hours, take just those weak kits and stick them under the doe. Do not make them fight their siblings for access to the milk bar. After feeding, you do the bowel and bladder stimulation.
Also make sure Mom's nipple line is not inflamed/hot. She has plenty of feeding stations, and if something is going wrong, the issue will spread from one nipple to the other. Be aware, that animals that have multiple nipples have some that are naturally just better producers (usually over the softer parts of the underbelly) young animals know where the preferred stations are, and fight for them. So the smaller. weaker ones, once they do get to latch on, are usually stuck with a more difficult dinner plate.

My feed and seed carries small syringes, but these would also be available at some place like riteaide or walgreens I think, for diabetics. I would try the feedstore for the glucose too if it is used for dairy cattle, but then you may find something at the drugstore, again for diabetics.

I had never thought of this frosted rabbits, but it sounds like a great idea!

A lot less expensive at the feed and seed-- gotta sign your life away for syringes at a drugstore in most states. The glucose MUST be injectable- otherwise you will start a severe irritation under the skin. Read up on the proper way to give a shot Sub-q-- as that is what will need to be done if you try it.
I would suggest, keeping a supply of syringes of various sizes, and needles on hand--* www.upco.com * is a favorite source of mine-- wholesale prices for the 'pet' owner-- they also have ivermectin, paste wormers, crocks, treats etc...

If you are going to make a trip to thestore- take the kits with you-- so they can be given tghe stuff right away. Start with 1/10 of a cc--when it is absorbed,give another. Keep the kits evenly warm don't be changing temps on them- that will stress them even more.

great. im gunna call around and see who carrys it. ive give loads of shots to horses, so i think i can do it...

Back