Feed Options : Purina, Shur-Gain, Floradale

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We have been feeding Purina Performance since we got our rabbits, but 2 others have come to my attention recently.

I'm not familiar with either of them, so am looking for input.

One is called "Shur-gain", the other is "Floradale"

Lea
It really depends on what you can get in your area.
Down here is Southern Canada.... (LOL) We have Purina and MasterFeed

MasterFeed - Nurse and Grow is a 18% protein feed and it is great for nursing does to keep condition and kits grow fast and strong on it.
This area had an issue with a batch of MasterFeed in January 2016 and we have been assured that it has been fixed, but I'm a bit gun shy after all the losses so I prefer the Purina. (The rabbits prefer the MasterFeed... lol... but I'm the boss, so they get the one that I haven't had issues with)

Purina Performance (17%)- I found out from a rep in the US, at a show, that there is a show blend with a higher protein, but it isn't available at our local feed stores.

TSC I am sure carries something too... but, I have not investigated their feed selection.

Not much help.... lol

My experience with feeding pellets is a good ten years old, but I remember that we had the choice between Purina and Shur-gain. The rabbits preferred Purina, but did okay on either one. Shortly after that I started investigating exactly what was in the pellets. I don't remember if I got an ingredients list for Shur-gain, but at that time the Purina feed (can't remember which one) contained animal tallow. I had always supplemented pellets with natural feed, but that was the point when I decided to get rid of pellets entirely.

Back