Second attempt to breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This is my second time breeding my NZ rabbits. The first time only one of the two does took. This was back in June. Due to the extreme heat I held off on breeding them again till September.

So I put the first doe in Saturday early morning and left her for a couple hours. She is my largest doe. She is a good bit bigger than my other two rabbits, but she isn't fat. She is just a larger rabbit from the same breeding stock. She is also the one that didn't conceive last time. I monitored her diet closer, but she still wasn't wanting any from the buck. So I knew that I would need to try it again.

Sunday morning doe two went in. The same results. So I searched the forums and saw the post concerning apple cider vinegar. I put some in the water and hoped it would help.

So yesterday evening I decided to do as the breeding post suggested and leave her over night. I of course stayed for a while to make sure they were getting along. Both of my does are very submissive and skittish. The two prior days they spent the whole time running from the buck and keeping their tail end down. This time though she was in there for less than five minutes and went to the middle with head down and tail end up. He hopped on and then did a fall off with a couple of screams. Yep he is a screamer. Since they were getting along well and she was more receptive I left her the night. i went back out before bed and checked on them. they were still going good.

Tonight I am going to try doe two again and leave her the night.

I can't say for sure if it was the vinegar or just the evening mood, but maybe this will be of some help to others. Thanks for the breeding post Mamasheepdog. I will leave the link here for others that might like to review it. http://rabbittalk.com/judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

I do have a few questions, Should I put the does back in after a week to make sure they took? If I do, should I leave them overnight again? Is it ok to continue to give them the vinegar?

Thanks for all the wonderful post on here. It has been a huge help!!!

A little ACV in the water is fine at any point... I never had any issues when I did it (got out of the habit once my rabbitry grew past my initial 4).

I, personally, don't leave my pairs unattended. I will let them go while I am feeding, or in the general area, but I stay within eye and ear shot. A fight between the two could cause some damage to one or both of them.

Also, it might still be too warm for the bucks to be potent... and once it does cool down they might have to shoot out some blanks first. Either way write down any and all attempts, whether you think they were successful or not. I have had a couple "surprise" litters - one I watched and she never lifted, he never got near the mark, yet 4 weeks later she had a good size litter! (I bred 2 others so I was on watch duty anyway.. learned my lesson to always put in a nest box, even if *I* think it's impossible). Then other times they can do everything right and still no luck.

I am always in the area with the "dates" going on ...... I have heard horrible stories of Bucks getting on the wrong end and ending up castrated for the indignity.

That being said, you know your does best.

Had a cull buck(REX) that I wanted to get a "lets see" litter from. The doe was LOVING the company... lots of cuddles and hanging out going on. (She doesn't like people, but wants to be a colony bunny.) Her daughter had a bad attack situation with a young doe and she loves people but will attack other bunnies.. including bucks... (I have to hold her down for the bucks or nothing would get done)

Well it has been a week so I went to put the does back in with the buck. My Doe that has had babies stayed the night since they were getting along so well.

The other doe, that hasn't had a litter, I tried to put in last night. After I got her in his cage, she started making this noise right away. I was cleaning the poop so I kept a close eye on them. She was not presenting and just kept making that noise. It was almost a squeak. I removed her after a couple of minutes. Does this mean she is most likely pregnant?

TheChad
Yes and No.... lol

I have heard that a doe will grunt and complain when she is bread if put with a buck.
I have a doe that is really good at that.... for 3 months in a row.... that being said, she didn't appear to lift for the buck this last time, but she built a heck of a nest in the box and I will find out end of this week if this time she took.

I would still try and breed her again in a day or so....

I put the boxes in so we will see if it took. 31 days today.

The doe that hasn't had kits keeps crapping in the box. I am cleaning it out daily and adding fresh hay. I am most likely going to move the box around again to see if I can get her to stop just laying it all day.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sometimes you just cant get them to stop that. I would offer her another box option, and she will likely pick one over the other and can have babies in the clean one or if she doesnt, you can move the babies to the clean one for her:)

macksmom98":2k8a4s3m said:
Sometimes you just cant get them to stop that. I would offer her another box option, and she will likely pick one over the other and can have babies in the clean one or if she doesnt, you can move the babies to the clean one for her:)

There really isn't enough room for two boxes. I am cleaning it out each day and adding new hay as needed. I checked this morning and no new kits.

-- Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am --

I know I like to ask questions, but to me that is how you learn. I have noticed that both does are getting in the boxes and resting. The funny thing is that both are moving the hay to the front and making a bare spot in the back. Do any of you notice that with yours? Is that them making a nest or just making it more comfortable for them. I have hay in the boxes.

-- Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:38 pm --

This morning my doe that hadn't had any kits had some. It was dark and I was needing to rush to work, but I think I counted five alive. There was some other material in the nest and I removed it along with some more hay that she had relieved herself on.

I would have possibly moved them inside to warm up, but she was hay staching and pulling fur like a mad rabbit. :runaround: They had a good layer of fur on them and I made sure they were all together as best I could. She was obviously trying to finish everything up. I dumped her some boss in with her feed.

Tonight I will move them inside. It is suppose to get down to the mid to low 50s this weekend. Not to bad, but better safe than sorry.

Should I move them inside as the day gets hotter? It will be in the mid to lower 80s this weekend. I feel like they are probably good outside in that. One more doe to go. She is due tomorrow or the day after. Will be watching her close this weekend as I process the First group that is 12 weeks old. <br /><br /> -- Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:20 pm -- <br /><br /> Confirm five alive. Two were dead.

Congrats Chad!

Baby bunnies always make me happy!
5 bunnies will get big really fast!
I don't think I would worry too much about 50 degree temps.... as long as mum has pulled enough fur to cover them... they should be fine.
I know yours are outside... so wind break and keeping them dry should really be the concern.

Glad to hear your 2nd doe wasn't a dud..... now your biggest issue will be "do I have enough grow out pens"! :lol:

Five week weight is 2.25lb each. Moved them to their own cage. Feeding them hay and mana pro gro feed. Plenty of water. <br /><br /> -- Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:48 pm -- <br /><br /> Five week weight is 2.25lb each. Moved them to their own cage. Feeding them hay and mana pro gro feed. Plenty of water.

Regarding bringing them in when it's in the 50's...
That is actually the most comfortable temps for them. Mine thrive when it's in the 30's to 50's. 70's is very warm to them. 80's is just terribly hot. 90's is life threatening. The only time I ever bring any rabbit in the house is to groom, or slaughter. They stay outside all year. Normal lowest temps here are in the low 20's. But I have had it as low as 14 with no ill effects. As long as they are kept dry and have a place to get out of the wind, they're fine. Try wearing your coat with a sweater under it all the time you are inside and you'll get a feel for what your rabbits are actually experiencing. They aren't uncomfortable out there. They prefer it.

Latest posts

Back