New to Netherland Dwarf breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SetskiesD

Reaction score
Hey,
About 2 months ago I decided to breed rabbits. My boyfriends sister breeds Holland lops and lion heads(not to each other though). I chose to do Netherland Dwarfs. My first litter came from a 6 month old doe and it was her first litter. She had one and left it on the wire of the cage, didn't feed it, and proceeded to use the nesting box as a litter box. I tried to get a lion head mom to adopt this baby but her babies were much bigger and my baby didn't get enough milk and died. That same doe is due this Friday. I also bought a Chinchilla colored netherland dwarf doe who is 3 years old and she was 1.5 weeks pregnant when I bought her. 3 days before her due date she bled all over her cage like a lot. She never delivered. Has anyone else had this happen?

We need more information, for sure. It sounds to me like she may have had a bad delivery, kits died, she ate them to clean up and she is bleeding badly as a result of the difficult births.

The lawn weed Shepherd's Purse is useful in such cases. It can be fed fresh or dried and is a safe rabbit food as well as a medicine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

PLEASE! Add your location to your profile... Don't just tell us in this thread... we have too many members to remember. Your location will tell us what measures are realistic and appropriate for you to try.

She was bleeding out of her vagina. I looked down there and she had a little bit of dried blood. The majority of the blood was spread in the cage. That same morning I gave her a nesting box and she began to pull fur and I never saw anything hinting that she ever delivered the babies. I am positive that she was pregnant. Is there a specific reason this happened? What could it mean for her upcoming litters? Also, with my other doe, with her first litter she did not pull fur, deliver the baby in the nesting box, or nurse it. She is having her 2nd litter in 3 days, is it more likely that she will pull fur, deliver in the nesting box, and nurse the baby the second time around?

I've found that does act differently with almost every litter. If there was a problem I don't feel it's likely it will recur. However, if it does, I'd allow one more chance and then cull.

Since this was some time ago, how did things go?

She's was a first time mom. They often need a second chance. I would re-breed her.

Back