Have we start breeding for taste and tenderness as in other

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbit meat, processed at fryer size, is naturally tender and most people find the flavour pleasant.

The only way I know of to enhance the flavour is to feed a natural diet--and it's a trade-off because naturally fed rabbits generally grow to butchering weight somewhat more slowly and they tend not to be quite so fork-tender after about 12 weeks. The difference has never bothered me--I've still got (most of) my teeth--but to some people tenderness is everything.

A few rabbit breeders have managed to raise rabbits on natural feed almost as quickly as rabbits on pellets. My hat's off to them--I certainly never managed it before the rabbits were 14 weeks old.

Just my take on the subject. :)

I haven't ate rabbit meat yet but I have heard that rabbit meat is the healthiest kind omeat being high in fiber and protein while low in fat.

Rabbit is a nice, white meat, a little denser/firmer than chicken, perhaps closer to lean pork or turkey in firmness but very fine-grained. Very lean and high in protein, amino acids, B vitamins etc. It is low in fibre, but then so are all meats. Look to vegetables, fruits and whole grains for fibre, Buttons.

Comparative flavour of rabbit meat based on their diet is subjective. Some people (like me) think that a natural diet enhances the flavour, but believe me, it is all excellent! (Although I agree with Homer, that how it is cooked matters too. :chef: )

1. It is one of the best white meats available on the market today.
2. The meat has a high percentage of easily digestible protein.
3. It contains the least amount of fat among all the other available meets.
4. Rabbit meat contains less calorie value than other meats.
5. Rabbit meat is almost cholesterol free and therefore heart patient friendly.
6. The sodium content of rabbit meat is comparatively less than other meats.
7. The calcium and phosphorus contents of this meat or more than any other meats.
8. The ratio of me to bone is high meaning there is more edible meat on the carcass than even a chicken.
9. Rabbit meat with the many health benefits does not have a strong flavor and is comparable to chicken but not identical.
10. Rabbits are one of the most productive domestic livestock animal there is. Rabbits can produce 6 pounds of meat on the same feed and water as the cow will produce 1 pound of meat on the same feed and water.
https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/0 ... bbit-meat/
That's what I was thinking about when I said the high in fiber I got fiber mixed up with cholesterol because we were talking about my boyfriends dog being on a high protein diet ( she's on a ketogenic dog diet, the dog eats better than I do lol) although could you guys send me some good recipes? Won't be to much longer till I'm ready to process my first and make a meal of it.

Latest posts

Back