omg their noises are so cute!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I don't even remember what I was looking for on craigslist but 2 days later I ended up with these. :lol: I'm trying to reduce guinea pigs for something that is less work and sells for more. I got these diamond doves at like 1/4th what those colors would cost and at less than a year old they've raised 1 chick. I've determined the hen is a cinnamon genetic color and the male has rusty wing feathers and white feathers because he is a white rump. He'd have to carry cinnamon to get any but we can get half white rumps carrying cinnamon. I also got the name of a guy that sells them regularly if I want new blood. I've had bad luck with birds so far but they are so cute. The male growls, squeaks, and coos about everything. I told my husband we should have skipped hookbills and gotten doves. They are so much easier to handle and less squawking.

Beautiful <3 One of the things I love about pigeons & doves is that their noises are much more bearable than parrots & hookbills

It's like someone crossed a quail with an owl. :lol:

Years ago, one of my sons rescued a mourning dove from the mouth of the neighbor's cat. It's wing was badly broken, nearly detached at the shoulder which had been crushed. We kept it in a large box and fed and watered it daily, naming it Sweetie. After a few weeks, Sweetie got so accustomed to the sounds of the household, that she began to coo occasionally. Every day, usually at dawn and dusk, she would start cooing and would normally sing like that for a half hour or so. It's a very soothing sound. Sweetie lived for a year or two.

We took in a tame pigeon for a little while. They say sometimes you can find racers or homing pigeons that just need some recovery time or I think my neighbor purposely raises them in his roof because there is tons of pigeon noise and not a pigeon on the ground except that one who couldn't fly. I fed him corn and peas for awhile and then released him when he was getting rather hyper, unhappy with confinement alone which was all we could supply indoors, and started charging the door for food. He was never truly aggressive but he wasn't happy or I would have kept him. He didn't make much noise at first but he started to make some interesting little noises when hungry or just wanting out. I've been debating parrotlets for 6+ months but I think we will go to doves. We just don't have the setup to safely exercise and handle small hookbills/parrots for their enrichment and to be worthwhile pets. Cats, dogs, open water containers for aquariums and water change water, no place they can't crash into something, get lost, or get out of reach... An indian ringneck is still on the table for sometime in the future. That takes a lot more devotion though so it will be years.

Save yourself from a lot of headaches and avoid parrots, we have one of those green amazon parrots, I can't remember his breed but anyway his name is Buddy, he hates men and everything that's not a female human.

Well whether a parrot fits your lifestyle is half species (I wouldn't even petsit an amazon), part how they were raised (pet stores are a bad place to go but so are breeders who don't handle their birds so research), and part how you learn to interact with them (never having been exposed to birds I have cockatiels). There are a handful of less common breeds I would consider hunting down a good breeder for and travel the entire span of the country if necessary given their lifespans. I would do no less to pick up the perfect dog so why not a parrot.

I'm looking for a guinea pig replacement project. I was thinking parrotlets for all their colors, bold personalities, and interactivity but they are as demanding as guinea pigs, require more entertainment, are louder, take work to tame with probable handfeeding, and are more difficult to figure out when I am bad with birds. I looked a few years ago for diamond doves so I snatched these up and got the name of the local breeder. Sadly his store closes at 5pm an hour or slightly more away so meeting him will be hard but I can get further stock to pair with the offspring if making baby doves works out. I'm debating caging right now.

The male has decided it's mating time so I decided to get on their more permanent cage. Took the wire floor out and made a wood base for a solid floor, covered it in ceramic tiles, and laid the paper on that. Somewhere there are plastic trays for these cages but oh well.

<br /><br /> __________ Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:45 pm __________ <br /><br /> Well that didn't take long. I have the chillest male dove ever and the female copies him. Within 30mins he was calling and within an hour he was back to mating displays in his new cage. I figured I'd wait a day or 2 to even put in the nest. Maybe I should get on that. (I have to setup for my early christmas present though)

Back