Anything I can do to prepare a doe for 1st time breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have plans to breed my Mini Rex doe later this month - I don't own the buck she will be bred to, so this is a one-shot deal.

Doe will be 8 months old, she's housed indoors, fed 1/2 cup of pellets (Purina Rabbit Performance) and unlimited grass hay. Fresh water available. Very occasional treats of raw veggies (carrot, sweet peppers, pea pods, etc) and herbs.

She is currently in a cage that is approx 18x30 - I am modifying a dog crate with some 1/2"x1" wire I have here so she will have a larger space for her and her kits.

Is there anything I can do / offer her / supplement her with that will be beneficial ?

I've read that using Apple Cider Vinegar in her water is supposed to help her be more receptive, but nobody seems to be able to explain how or why :D

I know that a significant percentage of first time does lose their litter, and while I know and understand that, I would like to give her the best chance at success I can :D

And before someone asks - we are breeding for the show table, with the hopes of improving body type.

Doe is a broken chocolate, Buck is solid black.

Mischief_June5_2016.jpg

Yes, ACV can help make the doe more receptive to the buck, although I'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure you just add a few drops to her water.
Sometimes a rabbit won't breed for lack of vitamin A. I feed my rabbits a handful of spinach every day for a week before breeding as it contains Vitamin A and others.
Try to reduce stress and don't change her food while she is pregnant. If she is going to need to switch do it now.
Check the color of her vent before breeding. It should be dark pink or purple.
If you are switching her cage, do it at or before she is 3 weeks pregnant so she has time to settle before the kits are born.

She is adorable! I bet her kits will be super cute :D I hope this helps, and good luck!

I'm sure they will all love the spinach - I can definitely do that.

I'm guessing I need to find some better quality ACV than what I can pick up at WalMart, right ?
I'll check the health food type stores for some.

No worry about switching her food - she's been on the same stuff all her life and seems to be doing well on it.

I need to get a new picture of her - her dewlap is huge <3 That one is from when she was about 3 or 4 months old.

HOWsMom":3ut2vt9r said:
I'm sure they will all love the spinach - I can definitely do that.

I'm guessing I need to find some better quality ACV than what I can pick up at WalMart, right ?
I'll check the health food type stores for some.

No worry about switching her food - she's been on the same stuff all her life and seems to be doing well on it.

I need to get a new picture of her - her dewlap is huge <3 That one is from when she was about 3 or 4 months old.

I use a cheap acv and it seems to work fine. About a table spoon per half gallon I would guess. That is about what I use. Good luck!

Back