Need Help. Rabbit Uterus Prolapse (?) Graphic Pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburton

Reaction score
This is what I get for allow someone else to watch after my rabbits for a few weeks. During this time my doe had babies (a few days ago) and today I just noticed what look like her uterus prolapsed? :eek: :cry: It's not bleeding, until I attempted to use lube and push it back in place. So she has blood supply there but what is the black part? :?: What can be done for her at home (before we try a vet)?

https://goo.gl/photos/8ut8n9t7FVAe9zux9

https://goo.gl/photos/Ht5yQD8UH8p3HjNT9

I hope I don't sound heartless, but if she were mine, I would euthanize her. Poor girl! She must be in pain and even if she pulls through this time, I think she would be at risk of this happening again.

MaggieJ":2ab79ove said:
I hope I don't sound heartless, but if she were mine, I would euthanize her. Poor girl! She must be in pain and even if she pulls through this time, I think she would be at risk of this happening again.

Actually I was thinking the same thing. She must be in pain but doesn't show it, hops around, eating/drinking. I would have never noticed if I didn't pick her up.

Discussions of this sort are found in the Meat Rabbits forum, out of respect for the feelings of many pet rabbit owners. I feel it is best that anyone with rabbits know how to euthanize in case of an emergency. It is not always feasible to take a mortally injured or sick rabbit to the vet.

Try this thread:
best-cleanest-fastest-dispatch-t25080.html

If you have fosters for the kits or they aren't a really important litter I would put her down. She might be ok feeding them awhile with good painkillers but that can be hard to find and dose without a vet or you could take her to a vet for even higher cost to remove the uterus. Either way lots of money and effort for a doe who will never produce again.

I ended up putting her down. The day I did, the buck acted depressed and is still acting that way. Has anyone else seen a rabbit grieve? He was his happy self even when she was ill, but as soon as I took her away he got depressed :cry: He's not alone so is not like he doesn't have other ladies. <br /><br /> -- Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:00 am -- <br /><br />
akane":2tsy58wj said:
If you have fosters for the kits or they aren't a really important litter I would put her down. She might be ok feeding them awhile with good painkillers but that can be hard to find and dose without a vet or you could take her to a vet for even higher cost to remove the uterus. Either way lots of money and effort for a doe who will never produce again.

All her kits were stillborn, so sad to lose so many bunnies in one day :(

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you.
From your pictures it almost looked like she had a kit that was stuck, not necessarily a prolapse. But again, I'm not a vet and will never claim to be. I think the best thing you could have done for her was to euthanize her. The possibility of infection and sepsis would have been very high, and recovery to a good quality of life would have been unlikely. You did the best you could.

Back