Is "tainted" rabbit manure an issue in gardens? pesticides

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard more than once about pesticide residue (from treated hay) making it's way through animals, into their manure, and then wreaking havok on home gardens. Now, most of what I have read is referring to horse manure... I don't know if they have a different enough GI system to be a bigger issue, or if it's just that more of their manure tends to make it into gardens vs. other animals? Anyway, has anyone had any issues? I will admit, I haven't used much manure on my plants because I am terrified of ruining the garden I have worked so hard on the last few years. I am finally getting to the point where I can actually grow something other than weeds! :oops: :lol: Here is an article http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/kil ... ned-to-us/ and then one discussion on it, but there are many more out there: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archi ... 14365.html

I am fortunate in that I know where my hay comes from (our house is built on part of that hay field :cool: ), but I also know that pesticides are used on it... and some of their hay is sold to Purina and Southern States so it's out there. And I know he's not the only one that uses those chemicals. I have an option to get organic (yet weed filled) hay. Then I wonder - Is the feed affected as well? They use hay to make pellets, right? I know many of you use bunny berries on your garden without issue... how do I get over that fear?

How about if you used the bunny berries only on a small section of the garden at first and see what happens?

Can you find out what chemicals they use on the hay? Then you could research it and find out exactly what you are dealing with.

I KNOW it's one of the two or three that are causing issues which is why I am so hesitant (blanking on the name, but I have asked). Other plants can grow just fine in it - it targets broadleaf plants... beans, tomatoes, squash, peppers - the staples of many home gardens. I was just curious if maybe, somehow, it wasn't as big of an issue with rabbit manure. Maybe their digestive tracts were different enough? Even large producers like Black Kow compost are having issues.

I've never had pesticide treated hay. I really don't have to worry about it now since my hay is organic. Different areas might rely on different methods but it's not standard here.

Maggie's solution is sensible. Another idea: it has been a couple of years since I actively looked into this, but hot composting used to be suggested to help break down the pesticide residue quickly. Your compost might not have as many active organisms as sheet or cold compost, (if done imperfectly), but may give you more assurance. You also won't have weed seeds, if using problematic weeds in your compost. (If anyone reading this is not familiar with hot composting, here are some links: http://www.the-compost-gardener.com/hot-composting.html. https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-i ... n-18-days/). Storing up your bunny berries in pails or a sack then hot composting them along with any hay scraps should help break down the residues. I noticed in your first link the person was concerned the manure was from animals eating treated hay--but he'd also used treated hay as a weed barrier. I'd imagine that was more of the source of his problem than the manure.

Hope this helps!

TRF - I noticed the mulching comment... I am sure that was a big part of their issue as well, but I have read that the manure itself has caused issue (even big name compost companies). I will try heat... I know I have a BUNCH that I need to do something with. And of course there's some hay mixed in...

Around here organic hay = weeds... and anything else is sprayed. I know the family member that does organic hay said some patches are worse than others so we talked about trying to find the ones with the least for my rabbits. Need to touch base with him again actually.

Here anything that says "grass hay" and isn't organic means weeds. I call all grass hay, weed hay here because it's rarely maintained with any specific species or conditions. They just let grass grow in some area they aren't using and bale it. I probably spent a decade, from the time I was a teenager taking in guinea pig rescues, looking for quality grass hay. I did get some good bales from a guy who is very particular about his sheep conditions but the hay was not suitable for him so he basically nuked the field with extremely hot turkey manure and replanted again. I ordered in hay when my mom was paying for it by 200lbs at once to get a shipping discount from a bulk online seller of bluegrass. I don't remember what it came out to but normally it was about $1/lb when ordering a bale in the largest box ups would ship. We used the standlee compressed feed store bales for awhile when a feed store chain carrying them started to spread here. Then I ran into this guy just as he was getting his land certified organic. I'm not sure if he's got his beef cattle all certified or not but his aim is grassfed organic beef that is of quality to have the marbling and amount of taste you can get off grain. He trace mineral treats his hay fields to eliminate deficiencies and makes a rich mix even with his grass only section. He also is the only one I know who does clover hay safely and of quality which was great for the colony rabbits who were burning a lot of energy. I had some nice, lean muscled rabbits for a couple years even if they didn't do crap on the show table because everyone thought them too skinny.

JMHO ..

most of this concern about garden pesticide contamination from manure, is just hype or paranoia, from novice growers who don't really understand how things work.,
In my experience... if rabbits eat anything with very much pesticide they will get sick--
they are much more sensitive to almost every thing than horses, cows, and especially sheep.
the pesticides used on hay crops break down fairly quickly , and more so -in the soil. So, if your rabbits don't get sick from eating the feed- it should be safe for your garden.

the real concern is really herbicides, and "roundup-ready forage , and hay crops--

If you check the label, or monsanto's web site you will see a table for minimum wait time before planting different crops-- so - the glyphosate remains active in the soil for at least a couple of months.

next-- these questionable herbicides are systemic ,so- even though the round-up ready crop is not killed by the herbicide , it is still full of the stuff.
using any roundup ready hay , or cornstalks for your garden will open you up to the possibility that your seedlings will be poisoned by the herbicide in these materials-

once the hay is composted or incorporated into the soils it could take several months for the glyphosate levels to reduce to a level safe for some seedlings.

Next- "a real concern" about using manure from livestock who have been "wormed" these wormers, come through the cattle and will kill all of your earthworms that come in contact with it.

again-- JMHO <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> the article linked to above states that "Grazon" was used on the hay being used for mulch, and the feed source of the manure being used
that is a particularly nasty long lasting chemical. and a full year of "ageing, and composting" may not completely deactivate it.

The article stated that the manure was composted and aged-- but it probably was not-- because the article also said-- it had a lot of weeds germinating in the manure pile...

Season-long performance.
With its systemic mode of action and residual activity, one application of
GrazonNext® HL has a lasting effect on rangeland and pastures. When applied,
GrazonNext HL penetrates into foliage and moves quickly throughout the entire
target plant, going deep into the root system. Because it is readily translocated,
GrazonNext HL controls the entire plant, not just the part above ground.
In addition to translocating throughout emerged plants, GrazonNext HL provides
season-long soil residual control of emerging broadleaf weeds. This fast,
long-lasting activity extends the impact of weed control and improves forage
response.
Grass management made simple.
Because it gives you the broadest spectrum of weed control available without
an applicator’s license,1 GrazonNext HL herbicide saves you time. It contains
aminopyralid, a novel active ingredient reviewed and registered under the
Reduced Risk Pesticide Initiative of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
This program is reserved for compounds that demonstrate less risk to humans
and the environment than the market standards. GrazonNext HL also contains
2,4-D, a trusted broadleaf herbicide popular since it was introduced in the
1940s.

What about mixing it with Compost 1st & letting it break down that way 1 st. We just got 2 giant Flemish in July , & it has been so dry here I have not got to use my new bunny berries.

luvspets1":2hdnhumi said:
What about mixing it with Compost 1st & letting it break down that way 1 st. We just got 2 giant Flemish in July , & it has been so dry here I have not got to use my new bunny berries.

if the compost pile heats properly it helps a lot... <br /><br /> __________ Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:04 pm __________ <br /><br /> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carey-gil ... 08680.html

glyphosate in food products, and --- honey

"Monsanto"'s control of Government agencies, and judges - is a big problem we need to stop running from.

michaels4gardens":2tuak82c said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carey-gil ... 08680.html

glyphosate in food products, and --- honey

"Monsanto"'s control of Government agencies, and judges - is a big problem we need to stop running from.

Nothing is safe :( :evil: . I agree, it needs to be taken care of! This quote alone speaks volumes:

Even though the FDA annually examines foods for residues of many pesticides, it has skipped testing for glyphosate residues for decades.

The wording on this makes my skin crawl... carefully worded, for sure:

“The bee farmers are not breaking any laws; rather glyphosate is being introduced by the bees,” Sack wrote in response. “While the presence of glyphosate in honey is technically a violation, it is not a safety issue.”

Sack said the EPA had been “made aware of the problem” and was expected to set tolerance levels for honey. Once tolerance levels are set by EPA - if they are set high enough - the residues would no longer be a violation. When contacted this week, the EPA said there are currently no pending requests to set tolerance levels for glyphosate in honey. But, the agency also said: “there is no dietary risk concern from exposure to glyphosate residues in honey at this time.”

I know I can eat at least one brand of organic hard red wheat, while regular "all purpose" non-organic white flour makes me sick. I will get IBS and feel like I have the flu.

It's really weird, as another brand of organic wheat did make me sick. I don't know if that brand was contaminated, if it is a difference in processing, or if it is the wheat variety itself as they one I can eat is "100% hard red wheat". I can also eat "most" corn products without problems (a general mills taco kit made me sick), which if it was glysophate, I would think I would trigger? Unless, the glyphosate is sprayed so much earlier in the growing cycle for corn, that the wheat actually contains more than the corn because it is sprayed at the end to dry out the wheat?

I'm thrilled that i'm finally figuring out some of my health triggers I just wish I had a firm target. So long as I don't eat anything that is commercially packaged with wheat and don't eat out at restaurants I do much much much better. My only regret is that it's taken 20 years to start to figure this stuff out.

alforddm":3kprhck4 said:
I know I can eat at least one brand of organic hard red wheat, while regular "all purpose" non-organic white flour makes me sick. I will get IBS and feel like I have the flu.

It's really weird, as another brand of organic wheat did make me sick. I don't know if that brand was contaminated, if it is a difference in processing, or if it is the wheat variety itself as they one I can eat is "100% hard red wheat". I can also eat "most" corn products without problems (a general mills taco kit made me sick), which if it was glysophate, I would think I would trigger? Unless, the glyphosate is sprayed so much earlier in the growing cycle for corn, that the wheat actually contains more than the corn because it is sprayed at the end to dry out the wheat?

I'm thrilled that i'm finally figuring out some of my health triggers I just wish I had a firm target. So long as I don't eat anything that is commercially packaged with wheat and don't eat out at restaurants I do much much much better. My only regret is that it's taken 20 years to start to figure this stuff out.

I think pesticides can really mess with some people's bodies - I know one lady who can eat organic apples, but not conventional. I have been struggling with health issues for years and am starting to pinpoint some food triggers as well (gluten produces textbook MS symptoms!).

michaels4gardens":168s4r91 said:
I have got rid of some allergy's I have dealt with my whole life, -food, and environmental-- - it was simple and painless, -- I would highly recommend
this . https://www.naet.com/

Perfect timing! I am starting the search for a new doctor for a multitude of reasons - I had a long rambling post as to why, but it would totally derail this thread... I'm pretty much pi$$ed at my current one though. I took a quick peek at that site and it is exactly what I am looking for... I don't want meds to treat the symptoms, I want to know what the heck is going on with my body!

Latest posts

Back