Cleaning for the show tricks ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquaman05

Reaction score
My daughter has her first show coming up. Anyone have any tips on products to use before showing ?

You don't. Alteration of a rabbit's coat per ARBA are grounds for DQ as rabbits are to be shown in their natural state. Dying, plucking, cleaners are a NO NO.

I have seen others use stuff, but that doesn't teach or do good. If I win, I want my rabbit to win. Not because I used an expensive grooming coat spray. Some breeds, grooming can ruin a coat like that.

Now if you are talking about trying to get a lil yellow off from stain pee, that's not the same thing as alteration. White vinegar and baking soda rubbed on and brushed dry. Some use peroxide, but that dries and damages coat.

I'm talking about giving them a bath not trying to cheat. Just making them nice and clean.

Never ever bath a rabbit unless its a must...so no. Rabbits can chill very easily and that can be deadly. It is very stressful. Despite some of the "oh he's loving it" youtube vids I've seen...no. I've never bathed a rabbit, I've spot cleaned a dirty behind here and there, but never a bath like a cat or dog. When I did that I used baby shampoo or dawn dish soap (blue kind used for birds).

Rabbit shows aren't like cat, dog, or horse shows ;) They are a completely different thing. You take your rabbit, clean as a brushing or blowing (if woolly) and conditioned (not in between coats ideally or sunburnt etc...I've done that to get opinions on type though, even though I know that rabbit isn't going to be able to really compete), and the judges look them over. You check in when you get there, wait for breed to be called, once called take the rabbit(s) up to the table, place in coop, then judge. IF its a one day show, some shows are different and over night or even longer (like with convention). I'm not sure what kind of show (convention, fair, one day, etc) you're going to so skimming tops so to speak. While waiting, its a good time to check out other rabbits but I always suggest keeping within site distance if possible or better have some one that can sit with your rabbits or take turns (rabbit buds are great here) there's been a rise of problems in some areas. Not a lot, but one problem is one too many to me.

We use Chase's Stains Away at home between shows to spot clean some particularly dirty bucks that like to play in their own pee. :sick: :sick: :sick:

http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/price/groom4.htm#Grooming Spray

The best option is to keep the cages clean so as not to need to do any more grooming/cleaning than a light brushing along with choosing rabbits that are in good coat condition and not in a molt (I realize the latter is not always possible, especially with youth who often have a limited umber of rabbits to show). A little water on the hands rubbed through the coat (done with plenty of time to dry if it is accidently too damp) before the show is all we do to collect any loose fur. Any more than that and, as was mentioned, you run the risk of being DQed for "altering the natural appearance".

I grew up showing beef cattle where we bathed them before every show and used Show Sheen and hoof polish before we went into the ring, so it was my expectation to do something similar when the kids first started showing rabbits. Rabbits are a lot easier to prepare for the show table (unless you show angoras, LOL!!).

Back