Neutered: Back to Normal

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aizui

Reaction score
Update: November 10, 2016
Moe is starting to act like his normal self again! Thanks for all the help you guys have given me!

Information
Name: Moe
Breed: Lionhead Mix
Weight: Estimated 4 pounds

Hi,

1. Quite likely. If your vet is ok with neutering him it should be ok.
2. Well, rabbits are different, my first buck sprayed a lot, don't remember when it started, but it waned after about 2 years. My new buck doesn't spray like that, but my white-gray doe was yellow-brown after a few days with him :x .
Rabbits are all different hard to tell what one will do.
3. No, never heard of that. But compared to my does my bucks bathroom habits are, mildly put, sloppy. Marking his territory. I reckon neutered boys are easier to litter train, also, if you ever consider a doe as companion that will be easier if he is already neutered.
4. I would think it will stop if it's a hormonal behaviour, but I have no own experience with neutered bucks.

Neutering a male is better than fixing a female but you still have the risk of loosing him under surgery.

My male rabbit, Olaf is not neutered and is 100 % fine. He does have an addiction the the female rabbit smell but I guess that's normal.
Olaf sprays the back of his cage but nothing else. Rabbits don't usually spray humans, that I know of.
Male rabbits don't have to breed in their life. I bred my bunny Olaf for the first time recently and he is one year old. He was fine before and would've been fine. Females should breed once in their life though the prevent cancer.
As for the humping- Olaf doesn't hump me, but I have heard of other peoples bunnies humping them. I guess it's all natural behavior.
If it gets to bad that you can't stand it anymore then I would go ahead and neuter him.
:D
Ultimately it's your choice!
Hope I could help!

- Olafthebunny :D

If he's already old enough to try to hump your arm, he's likely not going to start spraying. If that's your only problem, and even then it's isn't a usual thing for him, I wouldn't get him neutered - the procedure is very risky, as rabbits don't do well under anesthesia, and even then it's hard to find a vet with experience in rabbits surgeries. BTW, olafthebunny, rabbits do spray humans - they aim for the face too, the little jerks. I don't keep anybody who sprays me, that's one behavior I will not put up with.
1. He is starting to hump my arm (2 weeks ago he started). Does that mean he's sexually mature? Is this a good time to neuter him? - He is probably sexually mature. They reach sexual maturity very quickly.
2. He hasn't sprayed me or anyone does that mean he won't start? Will he still spray if neutered if he starts? - He probably won't start spraying. He probably won't if neutered too.
3. If he isn't neutered, does he have to have a "bunny" friend (stuff animal) to do his thing with? Is this required for his happiness/health? No, he does not. He may find anything you throw in his cage - food dishes, toys, etc, very attractive though.
4. If neutered will he still hump my arm? He doesn't do it often usually once a week he gets wound-up. He probably won't if neutered.

Thanks for the information everyone! Anyone else have an opinion on neutering and what's best for Moe?

Aizui":3gezpqqh said:
Age: Unknown (was told under a year) Also is there a way to identify age?

I believe you cut them open and count the rings. No wait that's trees.

Aizui":3gezpqqh said:
Thanks for the information everyone! Anyone else have an opinion on neutering and what's best for Moe?

There is really no "best for Moe". The issue is what's best for you. While there are risks with any surgery, Moe will most likely be fine either way. Moe probably won't realize what's going on and probably won't care, as long as you're feeding him and petting him.

The real issue is which "Moe" will you like better. His temperment will change, and the question is do you prefer an intact rabbit or a neutered one. If dealing with a hormonal rabbit is a deal breaker for you, or you want to save your carpets from Moe's wrath, or you want to keep him around other rabbit without worrying about fighting with males or getting females pregnant; then get him fixed. If you can stand the occasional humping and spraying, or want to breed him, or can't afford it, or are risk-adverse to surgery; then let him keep his berries.

It is not worthwhile to keep him intact and resent him everytime he sprays all over the place. Next thing you know you'll be selling him on Craigslist. But if you do get him fixed, Moe won't be secretly resenting you for your decision.

Updated and changed the topic...

Moe is doing alright. He came out of surgery just fine and ate/relieved himself a little before he was allowed to go home. He's been micro-chipped (and registered) and they clipped his nails. Today he's been resting most of the day; not too active and has been drinking a little and eating a little. He only made a little waste last night (both 1 and 2) and today I don't think I've seen anything... I'm getting worried. His appetite is alright, not the greatest but at least he is eating and drinking. Is this normal for rabbits after surgery? I haven't inspected his region because I don't want to cause any harm to him.

Information
Name: Moe
Breed: Lionhead Mix
Weight: 4 pounds

if you are concerned about him, call the vet.

But if he's eating and drinking he should be fine, even if it's just a little bit.
Make sure he has good hay to eat to help with gut motility issues.

Did the vet not send you home with after care instructions? I would call and ask for some clarification

As long as he is eating and drinking fine I wouldnt worry too much

Anesthetic is a type of poison so being depressed is normal, and actually good as you want him to rest to aid in healing, they also problably gave him an injection of a long lasting painkiller, in a few days his system should have the drugs cleared it out

Latest posts

Back