Register

How do you identify rabbits...

Alternative housing for rabbits in groups.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 55.00

How do you identify rabbits...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Sumatra » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:57 pm

...in your colony?

I'm sorta new to this and still figuring things out in the process of transferring from cage to colony setup.

So my question is, how do you mark them(male/female, cull later/keep, 1st gen/2nd gen, etc...)?

I can't be going through the entire lot every time I need to figure out something.

With birds, we have bands. With rabbits, the only option seems to be ear tattoos.

Are there any other more obvious(from a distance), or at least less invasive options?

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,954.00

Re: How do you identify rabbits...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:12 am

Ear tattoos are really the best way to identify a rabbit in most situations. Both ear tags and leg bands have been tried, but without much success (though leg bands are used as identification more in Europe, but these wouldn't help you identify from a distance - they are all plain metal, not colored like birdsd) You can color code the tattoos if you want - hobby lobby sells ink of different color, as india ink, and this way you could not only have the rabbit's number, but be able to see important information at a distance due to the color code - example, keeper males could be blue, keeper females green, culls black, etc.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE & EUROPEAN POSE
thesodi.com - the chicken game

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,645.00

Re: How do you identify rabbits...

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:09 am

How about ear notches? Its used on all kinds of animals and, having had young bucks tear each others ears up a time or two, it doesnt seem to bother them much.

Its a good question though!