HELP! An air bubble (crepitus) over my Holland Lop's skull

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonillathebunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am looking to see if anyone has experienced this with their bunnies before.
My female and male were unsupervised for a moments notice (2 month buck, 3 month doe) and they got into a fight. It maybe lasted 10 seconds ... which is too long in my opinion. I checked them both over and no visible trauma, bleeding, or sore spots. Teeth & eyes checked.

The next morning I went to pet my doe as I do every morning but there was a bubble on the top of her head, making a crackling and popping sound as I moved my hand over it. I went to the vet that day and the vet told me she did not feel a skull fracture as she examined her, and said she wasn't sure how the air got in and that it should go away within a month. She didn't give me any antibiotics and she did not drain the air. She did listen to her lungs and said that she was healthy.

I realize that blunt trauma can cause crepitus... but this seems concerning knowing how fragile the bones are in a Holland Lop's face.

Any help or advice is appreciated! I am considering going to another vet for another opinion tomorrow! I really don't want things to get worse or for my bun to be in pain without me being able to help.

Welcome to RabbitTalk, bonillathebunny! :hi:

Sorry you are not joining under happier circumstances. Your bunny's problem is unusual and I am afraid it is way beyond my level of expertise.

Let's hope someone else can help.

If you think your rabbit is in pain, you could offer her a branch of willow with the bark on. Willow is a favourite food for most rabbits and the inner bark has pain-relieving qualities much like aspirin. It's a safe way to let your rabbit self-medicate if it needs pain relief. All members of the willow (Salix) family have this quality, albeit in different amounts.

Good luck with the bun! :good-luck:

Thank you for your advice MaggieJ! I will search tomorrow for a willow tree - I think that is a fantastic idea. :)

Latest posts

Back