Meet Winter, the Mal X Swiss Shepherd pup!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So I realized I never put a post on about that puppy I asked for help with. Considering it's been over 6 months since then, you all deserve to finally meet him!
To recap, Winter has an Alaskan Malamute dad and a White Swiss Shepherd mom. He is 9 months old now, and already 29 kilos, or 65 pounds! He is the sweetest, goofiest boy ever. He follows me like a shadow, whenever I move from a room, or even across the room, he comes too. He loves attention. He is quite bouncy, and does best with a 30-40 minute walk and an intense 10 minute game of fetch every day. If he gets his exercise he is quite mellow. He is clever and knows sit, down, stay, come, paw, rollover, play dead, pray, catch a treat, and to walk nicely on leash.
He is great with kids. He is quite gentle with my baby brothers. He loves my other dogs, a female Lab and a female small crossbreed. He can be bit rough with the crossbreed but she will put him in his place.

He is very nervous of new people or dogs. He is also protective. If new people come over he will bark at first, but if they leave him alone he quickly calms down, and just hangs around. If I sit next to him he will sometimes let them pet him. In public, if people don't approach him, he's fine, but he won't let anybody he doesn't know pet him, if they try he will bark and pull away. I don't mind really, we did need a protective dog, and since he's fine if he's left alone I don't consider it a huge issue. Otherwise in public he behaves very well.

He doesn't really chew a ton. My 2 year old Lab chews more than he ever has! He also isn't really a digger, and only barks when strangers approach the gate. He does sometimes steal food, but not too bad. His biggest issue might be his separation anxiety. He has been super attached to me since I brought him home. I am "his" chosen person. What's funny is, when we leave the house he is fine. He never destroys anything, and when we get home he is usually sleeping. But, if I am home, he won't bear to be away from me. If I shut him outside for a bit, he will scratch at the door until I let him in. The same thing if I'm outside and he's inside. He scratches and howls. One of the doors is like a half-door, you can open the top and leave the bottom half. He jumps that if we open it. Even if I go in my room, he does the same thing. But if I actually leave the house he's fine. Funny dog.

He also hates baths, he tries to escape and lunges everywhere. I do think he's improving though. The last bath went very well.

He was supposed to be neutered last month, but I think I'm going to wait until he is 11 or 12 months. That way he has plenty of time to grow properly.

He is such a sweet dog. I've dreamed of having a dog like this for years. He is just perfect. He is so devoted, loyal, affectionate, protective and loving. He always makes me smile. It's comforting to snuggle into his thick, soft fur. And he makes you laugh with his goofy smile :D
I'm very thankful for my buddy, Winter.
Anyways, that's pretty much everything about Winter. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_7508.JPG
    IMG_7508.JPG
    418.8 KB · Views: 1,786
  • IMG_7707.JPG
    IMG_7707.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 1,786
  • IMG_8525.JPG
    IMG_8525.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 1,786
What a cutie!!

I would definitely wait to have him neutered. In fact I would wait until he is closer to 2, that is when all the growth plates are usually.

JessicaR":2gnsat9z said:
What a cutie!!

I would definitely wait to have him neutered. In fact I would wait until he is closer to 2, that is when all the growth plates are usually.

Thanks! I would wait that long except we have a rather low fence in one area of our yard, and several of our neighbors have intact males who constantly fight and females who constantly have puppies. It's very aggravating. Although I doubt he would run away with his fear of the world, I don't know if the temptation would be too much.

Latest posts

Back