Breeding question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
I have a NZW doe that I am trying to breed to one of our bucks. She's 8 months old, and was bought as open on 3/11. I've put the doe in with the buck the last 3 days, and she wanted nothing to do with him. Today, she did this high pitched grunting, and hid in the corner. It wasn't a squeal, and she wasn't aggressive, but she was definitely irritated!

I've got a call in to the breeder to see if it's possible she could be bred. She was in with other rabbits the day we bought her, but I assumed they were females. Just for my piece of mind, in case I don't hear back from her for a couple days because I know she's out of town, is this a signal that could mean she is in fact bred, or what is this? Since we're still very new at this, I'm not sure what she's trying to tell me. :lol:

It could mean that she is already bred, but it could also mean she is frightened (many first timers are) or that she is just not receptive. Turn her over and look at the colour of her vulva. If it is pale pink to whitish, don't waste your time. If it is deep pink to reddish, that's better. If it is deep red to purplish... that should mean she is hot to trot. This whole expression "breed like rabbits" makes it sounds easier than it sometimes is.

Thanks Maggie. :) I'll check her tonight when I go back out to feed. I have to check her sister too, she is ready to be bred.

I have another non-related question. I notice today, that my little popples in the nest, are covered with their own white fur, and not covered with mom's fuzz. How long before they start moving around, and I couldn't tell, will their eyes be open yet? They were born on 4-1.

Yes, by a week old, the popples will be getting a nice beginning of a fur coat, but they still need to have momma's fur in the nest. If they get too warm, they open the top. If they get too cold, they burrow down. But do make sure they have enough fur left to burrow down into!

If not, you can add dryer lint, feathers from a pillow, teased cotton puffs or batting, etc. Many people keep a stash of extra fur, taken whenever there is extra or when their rabbits moult. It's very handy for such occasions.

Typically, the kits will open their eyes around Day 10 to 12. It can be a little earlier or a little later. Many of us clean out the nest box on Day 9, just before the eyes open, to reduce the chances that the newly opened eyes will get infected. ("nest box eye") If you are doing that, discard all the nesting materials that have become soiled under and around the kits and replace with fresh hay or straw or whatever you are using. Just save the fur "blanket" that momma puts over top the kits, if it is not too soiled.

We checked the popples again last night, and all 5 are nice and plump, thankfully, momma doe is doing good with them. I thought this was her 2nd or 3rd litter, but after speaking with the breeder again, this is actually her first. She's doing so good! Today is actually day 9, so Dave is going to build another nest box, we'll add some new bedding, and then transfer the fur and babies into the new one.

The doe I originally started this thread for, is in fact light pink, and honestly, I think she is just nervous. What would be the best thing to do for her if she is in fact, just scared. Her sister was nice and dark red though, so we put her in with our buck, and she took a breeding right away.

Our other problem, our CA doe that lost her last two litters. Her vulva area is dark pink, so I guess that means she's not PG, and there will be no popples next week. :( Last time we tried to breed her, even when she was dark red in the vulva area, she will not stand for the buck. We tried several different things, and nothing worked, so we ended up resorting to leaving her in with the buck, and hope she bred. Well, apparently she didn't, and she still will not take a breeding. I honestly don't think she is overweight, so we'll have to look into some other things I guess.

I don't know about vulva colour during pregnancy... never looked!

Wait out her time and hope for the best. Were her other losses due to chilling or something else?

Not all does are fertile and not all does are receptive to breeding. It is possible that she is just not a good breeder. (But don't give up on her quite yet.)

I have been trying to observe vulva color during pregnancy, b/c no one seemed to know. I have observed in the limited time I have devoted to this, that whatever the reason for lack of receptiveness (whether it is just that part of their receptivity cycle ( I know they don't have the normal type of cycle) or pregnancy) the vulva appears the same, whitish and somewhat shriveled.

I had one doe (that got braised in a Dos Equis after a while) that wouldn't breed for anything regardless of color...it happens, but as Maggie said dont' give up on her yet.

Over anxious I guess, we should have checked her prior I guess, we usually do otherwise. :x

Off to build a nest box! :)<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:17 pm __________<br /><br />Woo Hoo!!! One stubborn Caly doe took a breeding today!!! :happy:

When getting ready to kindle, the vulva softens, enlarges, and gets darker-- Marsha's was considerably darker 24 hours before kindling than it was on the day she was bred.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that information.

Latest posts

Back