Register

This "don't raise victims" crap

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,545.00

Re: This "don't raise victims" crap

Post Number:#16  Unread postby akane » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Actually I am so annoyed I lost the link but a psychiatrist wrote a paper about how many people she is seeing show up with ptsd symptoms who never had a major traumatic event. They had backgrounds with no support system (not abuse by adults just no one acknowledging and definitely not helping), no peer support, and bullying for years. Which goes back to teach your child to stand up for others. Then if there aren't useful adults there you've got a group of kids helping themselves and not leaving someone out. Kids will happily follow a confident person but that goes both ways in behavior. The addition of this kid who ignored all rules and tortured everyone without caring about consequences contributed to the horrible attitude of a majority of my grade because everyone wanted to be like him. In my school exclusion was this fun game played on everyone you could. Even my "friends" found groups that excluded me and my other friends. 1 of them actually started hanging out with the other grade that shared break with us because no one in our grade was being friendly. They were there every birthday party I had and then 7th grade I was walking with one of them and they talked about inviting so and so because then we could do all these really mean things to her. It just hit me so hard that someone who had argued over being my best friend would say that about someone else that had been part of our group since 2nd grade. I never had another birthday party. I quit trying to join her particular group. I guess I ended up alone partially because I refused to be like everyone else when it came to forming cliques and hurting those not in your clique. That made me the biggest target ever and especially for that kid I mentioned. I had no peers on my side, I had no authority figures on my side, my mom just expected A's so never commented on them, and her only support was to throw money at problems. No one listened to me about anything so I stopped talking. Example of my mom's support; after high school my mom pretended to be me, got my log in info, and signed me up for college classes I didn't want so that I couldn't drop out to do something else. Once again I didn't play along and I just quit going so I had a page of Fs to deal with when I finally did want to attempt college. I wanted to go train horses and school was horrible even in college. I had a program of 50 girls and 2 guys and everyone still made fun of me for things. Such stupid things like not shaving my legs in winter while wearing jeans and boots because one boot came untied while I was in the middle of something on a horse so they saw my leg before I fixed it. The stuff you get attacked for is always so small and idiotic. In highschool I got called horsey girl as an insult for riding horses and wearing tshirts with them on it. Every bit of interest or appearance was attacked and not just at school. I started and failed to finish numerous art projects because my mom was always negative about such things. It was a useless skill to her. My painting ceramic figures was coming out amazing sometimes but costing money and what was I going to do with this expensive hobby. Eventually if anyone acknowledged my interests I would stop being interested in them. I've tried to pick them up again but I can't seem to. I don't know where this is going anymore but harassment and no support broke something in me that nearing 32years old I still wonder if it will ever be repaired.

Bringing up violence in video games to me is trivializing and ruining the depth of this conversation. We are well beyond that. This is the result of a broken school system and a broken society that people are not understanding and spreading more problems rather than solutions. Anyone without a major psychological issue can separate actions in movies and video games from what to do in real life and how to treat people if they have someone there to teach them respect and... values sounds overly traditional to my preferences but that's the best word I can come up with. Any impact you see by such media is a symptom of the problem we are discussing. Not the cause. In fact I find the current trend of cartoons being overly simple and positive to be annoying and demeaning to the age groups they are aimed at.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
Zass

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,855.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby grumpy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Geez,
Times have sure changed... over the past 60+ years. :(
So, I'd best keep shut about ''the good old days" when a bully
was ''un-bullied'' with a stiff left-jab, and a wicked right-cross.

If they were bigger, pick up an equalizer.. simple.
There's no such thing as a 'fair-fight'. Fight to win..
Make a lasting impression with that first punch. Word gets around fast.
Get kicked outa school for fighting? Okay...take that hit. You won.

Grumpy.
Vice-President of our local school board.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,596.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:42 pm

akane wrote:Bringing up violence in video games to me is trivializing and ruining the depth of this conversation. We are well beyond that. This is the result of a broken school system and a broken society that people are not understanding and spreading more problems rather than solutions. Anyone without a major psychological issue can separate actions in movies and video games from what to do in real life and how to treat people if they have someone there to teach them respect and... values sounds overly traditional to my preferences but that's the best word I can come up with. Any impact you see by such media is a symptom of the problem we are discussing. Not the cause. In fact I find the current trend of cartoons being overly simple and positive to be annoying and demeaning to the age groups they are aimed at.

I'm sorry guys... I really didn't mean for that to come off the way it was evidently perceived. I'm not trying to make excuses for people, but I really do see video games as at least part of the issue in society as a whole - a way of dehumanizing people in mass. Sure, most normal people should be able to differentiate, but I think that's part of the issue. Our homes have been infiltrated, and the core family is definitely broken in a lot of cases. TV shows are just awful (I can see the attitude changes in my children after just a short amount of time... and this is after watching things that you would think would be "safe"), and on the computer people hide behind the anonymity of the internet and a screen name. It's far reaching, almost an epidemic of sorts. The way people bully isn't something "normal" people would do. There are major metal health issues behind some of these kids (and adults). The school system is beyond broken, I agree 100%. There are a multitude of reasons why my kids are at home.

I'll be quiet now and let the conversation continue. I can't get my thoughts together anyway... the words just aren't coming out right. Again, I apologize.
Last edited by FourRingCircus on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 6 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

The following user would like to thank FourRingCircus for this post
michaels4gardens, Zass

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 12,619.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby alforddm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:55 pm

I honestly don't see video games as that much of an issue. Violence has always been a part of human society. When you think about how much violence kids where exposed to in the past, real violence, not imaginary, it pales in comparison. Think gladiator games, slavery, serfdom, parental death from disease, war, famine, persecution... the fact that most people turned out OK and able to reproduce is really amazing all on it's own.

We really do live in an amazing time. There has never been a time in history when an entire population of people where as healthy and well fed as now.

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Zass » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Heritage, I tend to agree with Akane, that the video games themselves are not going to unhinge my children, at least, or turn them into bullies.
Listening to a racist uncle or sexist aunt might though. I've noticed a lot of that behavior is learned directly from family.

But don't for a second think that your input isn't valuable, or appreciated.
There is something to be said about the cultural breakdown we all grew up in, and technology certainly plays a part in that, actually, it may be the entire cause. I'm not sure it's entirely a bad thing, but there it is.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
Homer, michaels4gardens

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Post Number:#21  Unread postby akane » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Actually when I brought it up to my husband he said studies are showing that expending your violence on a video game helps reduce people's tempers and bullying behavior. I know plenty of perfectly friendly, sane, never bullied anyone people who have tortured people in video games. Like I said you have to already be messed up or never taught proper behavior by adults to apply your video game behavior to the real world.

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,596.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:05 pm

I don't believe in coincidences, so maybe I was led to this tonight to share here... I don't know. Not sure on ages or anything, but it might be a source that someone or here (or someone they know) can use.

http://mercyministriesreviews.com/about ... inistries/
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 6 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

Post Number:#23  Unread postby akane » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:11 am

I'm sure they serve a useful purpose and religion helps some but non-theist here. I tend to be more outnumbered on forums like this and homesteading but it doesn't really come up. Live and let live.

I ranted, listened, shared, and now I shall pack up the results from this thread to use in the future and move on. I have learned staying in past events of my life too long can trigger depression that lasts for months so I have steadily been teaching myself to present my case when needed and then stop thinking about it soon.

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
Zass

Previous