Injured Bunny...Please help!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chisai_bakemono

Reaction score
I adopted a 4 month old bunny from the humane society two weeks ago. When we adopted him one of the workers noticed his back foot had what seemed like a giant scab across the top and he drug it like at one point in time it had been injured. He can hop and walk fine it just lags behind. They told us to keep an eye one it. Since then, he tore the scab off and his foot was raw skin underneath. I took him to the local vet and along with pain meds and antibiotics we were told to wrap his foot. He won't keep the wrap on and licks the Vetericyn off right away. I have been working with him for almost two weeks trying to heal this and it just keeps getting worse. I have read many of the past topics on this site hoping to come across something but I haven't. I was thinking of using the coban around his neck to keep him from licking but as a first time bunny owner I'm afraid of doing it myself. Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated!
https://goo.gl/photos/xPGK1tgUzLMuaHf58
https://goo.gl/photos/xPGK1tgUzLMuaHf58

Don't put anything around his neck or do anything to him that would restrict him from licking around there - he needs to reach down to each cecotropes (rabbits don't absorb all the nutrition from their food the first time through, so sometimes, usually during night, they poop out soft, nutrient rich feces, which they have to be able to get to and eat to get all their nutrients.)

Does he chew on it, and make the wound worse, and does he seem to feel much pain when you mess around with the foot? Does it seem infected to you?

Thank you for your reply. After I visited the vet who was of little help I called the humane society and asked if their vet would have any suggestions for me. After sending them those pictures, the only response was keep him from licking it by wrapping coban around his neck. Apparently that's what they do after they spay or neuter them. I'm so glad you responded though so now i know no to do that.

The vet thought that maybe his foot was caught in something and got "degloved" possibly at or before arriving at the humane society. Internally his foot doesn't seem quite right either but since he uses it ok she wasn't overly concerned about that part of it. If you tickle the bottom of his foot he can feel it but when i tried to wrap it i had to put a little pressure on the wound and that didn't bother him at all. I don't notice him chewing, just licking. He was on antibiotics for a week so I don't think it would be infected but I really don't know. What should I look for exactly?

I agree that it looks like a de-gloving injury and there could be broken bones as well, which are limiting his movement and use of the foot

It will take quite a long time for the skin to fill in and cover the exposed flesh. The fact it was scabbed over and he removed the scab leads me to believe the injury was causing quite a bit of pain and he would rather self-amputate than endure it - if it doesn't heal then having the vet amputate the foot might be the best option

If I was treating him I would do a salt water soak 2 or 3 times a day to draw out infection and help dry out the patch as ideally you want it to scab over again

Can you please tell us the name of the antibiotic the vet gave you ?

Good luck

That also makes sense, thank you for your response as well. The antibiotic was called Sulfatrim (Ditrim). Dilute the salt water at 1/4 tsp per 8 oz of warm water?

Depending on how raw the area is, 1/4 tsp per 8oz might be a bit too strong. Give it a try and see how your rabbit reacts and add an ounce or two more water if he seems too uncomfortable

Back