Register

Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,850.00

Re: Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Post Number:#391  Unread postby Rainey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 am

I've only been growing wheat fodder for a couple months, but have never had any mold. I start the seeds with a 12 hour soak with a little slosh of bleach in the water. Then for a couple days the seeds are in a plastic coffee container with holes in the bottom and are rinsed twice a day. Then they are spread out in a 10x20 inch tray with drain slits at one end and are placed so they are propped for drainage. I use fresh water for each tray--not re-used, and water twice a day. Doesn't take very much--I think it would be easy to get them too wet. The last 2 days the tray is under grow lights. The whole thing is set up in a lean-to greenhouse built onto our living space. We grow winter greens for us to eat and start seedlings there in the spring. the temp may get down to 50 F sometimes and up to the 70's when the sun is shining--then a fan blows the warmer air into the living space.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 105.00

Post Number:#392  Unread postby mattdv » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:54 am

It took me a while, and my contacts dried out, but I got through all 391 posts and so far my main question has not been asked. I see that the water should be changed every four or five days, depending on how it looks and smells.

Where do you get your water from? I am on town water which is not flourinated but does have clorine in it. Should I be gassing off the clorine and using rain water/snow when I can? or will it be OK? Regards,

matt

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,248.00

Post Number:#393  Unread postby wamplercathy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:38 am

Just wanted to share this on a few of the fodder forms.
image3 (450x338).jpg
image3 (450x338).jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 848 times

The following user would like to thank wamplercathy for this post
Honey, Miss M

BunnyBucks: 10.00

Post Number:#394  Unread postby Green Flowers » Wed May 06, 2015 2:43 pm

I don't know if anyone has posted this link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/sprouted-fodder.aspx but it is a very good source of how to sprout fodder for smaller rabbitries and had some very good info about feeding appropriate amounts based on weight.

The following user would like to thank Green Flowers for this post
MaggieJ

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 57,738.00

Post Number:#395  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed May 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Looks like a good article, Green Flowers! Thanks.

Here's the clickable link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestea ... odder.aspx

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,200.00

Post Number:#396  Unread postby Miss M » Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 pm

mattdv wrote:It took me a while, and my contacts dried out, but I got through all 391 posts and so far my main question has not been asked. I see that the water should be changed every four or five days, depending on how it looks and smells.

Where do you get your water from? I am on town water which is not flourinated but does have clorine in it. Should I be gassing off the clorine and using rain water/snow when I can? or will it be OK? Regards,

matt

I think you'd be safest using your town water. The chlorine level, if it runs high sometimes, can be lowered by drawing water into a bucket and letting it stand overnight before using it. The chlorine will come out of the water.

You could use rain water, but you can't collect it the usual way, with roof water, gutter system, into a collection system. Your roof would probably have had squirrels, birds, even coons on it, and the water would have to be treated to keep your rabbits safe from the parasites it could contain. Filtered, filtered, filtered, boiled, and treated with chlorine.

The (probably) low levels of chlorine in your water may actually help to prevent mold and such from forming in your fodder. If you already use this water to water your bunnies, it should be fine for growing fodder. :)
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

BunnyBucks: 95.00

Post Number:#397  Unread postby Honey » Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Miss M wrote:
OneAcreFarm wrote:That is basically what this is 3mina, but on a much larger scale....this setup grows enough to feed 25 rabbits on a daily basis.

:shock: It does???

What would you sprout? Wheat, raddish, broccoli, lentils, beans, sunflower seeds, etc. Any sproutable seed/grain is awesome for fodder.
How expensive are seeds for this? Depends. I buy by the 25 to 50lb bag. I pay anywhere from $20 to $100 ish.
Could this and salt be all you need? Possibly. I sprinkle my fodder with some kelp, some DE and some raw ACV. They eat it up great.

I apologize, as I obviously haven't been paying attention. But you've got my attention now!

All in all...fodder is WAY cheaper than the bought pellets we were buying and I KNOW they're all organic and nongmo this way too. A bisquit (tray of fodder) cost me .15 with everything.

~Honey

__________ Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm __________

If you're wanting to avoid any chemicals you can use raw ACV in your soak water.
Honey Rowland of HoneysLife.com
"Organic since it was a dirty hippie word."

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 57,738.00

Post Number:#398  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:20 pm

I came across this website the other day and thought the article on fodder might be of interest. I just glanced at it, so can't give an opinion.

http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/sfn/w14fodder

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Miss M, Rainey

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,125.00

Post Number:#399  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:48 am

mattdv wrote:Should I be gassing off the clorine and using rain water/snow when I can? or will it be OK?

Because it off-gasses so easily, many water systems don't use chlorine anymore, but use a form of chloramine, which does not off-gas.

IMO, using city water (or in my case, a rural water system, where water is pumped to me from a central location) to water the garden, water livestock, and water animal fodder is far enough removed from the end-consumable that I don't worry about it. I filter the water that my family drinks directly.

I sprout sunflower seeds for my rabbits with a scaled down version of the dead-simple fodder system, using ice cream pails instead of 5 gallon pails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbJwbnSrdT0
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

The following user would like to thank SoDak Thriver for this post
Homer, michaels4gardens, Miss M

Slovenia
BunnyBucks: 1,050.00

Post Number:#400  Unread postby Nika » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:38 am

I´ve been growing fodder just for the last month, everything is going great, but I am noticing a lot of fruitflys or some other little fly thingy. They are not causing any problems yet, but should I be worried?

Previous