Are all kinds of Willow safe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
I have a neighbor with a nice looking willow tree. I notice they trim it up every now and then and I was thinking to go ask them if I could have their trimmings to make willow balls for my bunnies. But I'm not sure what kind it is. I could maybe get a picture. :)

I don't know of any unsafe willow. I think we have 7 different willows on our farm and the rabbits seem to prefer some over others consistently, but if it's a question of no willow or one of the less preferred they eat it. If you're sure it's willow (salix) then I'd feed it.

:yeahthat:

To the best of my knowledge all species of Salix are safe. If you have any doubts that you are talking about anything other than a true willow, posting a picture or two would be a good safeguard. Or you could do an image search to verify the species.

Okay this is a reeeeeeeeally bad picture...um, not sure if you will be able to tell by this. I just took it from my back yard. If you need me to get a close up or pictures of the leaves I can lol. Let me know if this will or won't work. :lol:

w9LzSu4.jpg

I'm quite sure it is a weeping willow - excellent for bunnies! I have a huge one and fed cuttings from it regularly to my rabbits. Check under it after wind storms too! You can even dry it for future use -- just hang it in small bundles out of the sun and rain.

https://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguid ... ItemID=938

Latest posts

Back