Dutch..colors...Which to choose?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Concerning Dutch....
Breeding two blues you would most likely get black an blue kits.
Breeding two torts you would most likely get just torts???

I'm trying to decide on my next pair of DT, but I can't decide on the color.... :( What color can I breed that will produce multi colored kits? (As in different colored kits in the same litter) I want lots of color variety in my kits.
I love the blue but am not crazy about getting black kits as well...I like torts, but I wouldn't want all the kits just normal torts.
How would you breed to get lilac and blue tort? Since lilac is a dilute of chocolate, would I be at risk of getting chocolate in my herd? (I don't like chocolate or black DT coloring...don't ask my why, just not appealing to me. :roll: )
I've heard you can get tri colored DT (harlequin) out of a tort... how?

AAAAAH wish I understood genetics more... :oops: :|

Easy Ears":2cjlp8g4 said:
Breeding two blues you would most likely get black an blue kits.
Incorrect, you can only get blue based kits and never black- and if the parents have tort in their background you might get blue torts
Breeding two torts you would most likely get just torts???
correct, if the parents are black tort then you'll get mostly black torts but, again, if they have blue in their ancestry you may get blue torts
How would you breed to get lilac and blue tort? Since lilac is a dilute of chocolate, would I be at risk of getting chocolate in my herd? (I don't like chocolate or black DT coloring...don't ask my why, just not appealing to me. :roll: )
Correct, you must have chocolate to create lilacs
I've heard you can get tri colored DT (harlequin) out of a tort... how?
you must use a rabbit that carries the harlequin gene

So if my buck has the blue gene then if I bred him to a blue doe would the 2nd generation have solid blues or just blue torts?

I'm trying to narrow my color options...I have a black tort buck I don't know his lineage but he has the perfect type to start my Dutch/Dwarf project. I want to try and breed smaller Dutch to create a dwarf/Dutch breed. :) I have bred him to a black tort mixed doe and he has produced lilac tort, one blue tort kit and black tort kits out of my three experimental litters.

Breeding him to a black tort: Possible colors would be, black tort, blue tort...and?

Breeding him to a Blue: Possible colors would be, black? blue tort, black tort??? :stars:

If he has a chocolate gene (since he threw a couple lilac torts), and I bred him to a tort or a blue which would be more likely to have lilac torts? Or would it not happen at all unless one of the does has chocolate in their pedigree?

Ok, so something I want to clear up: To get a color both parents have to carry the gene right? (For the color to come out that is)
And if I bred my black tort buck to a blue doe the first generation will most likely be black right?

Easy Ears":1rqx699p said:
So if my buck has the blue gene then if I bred him to a blue doe would the 2nd generation have solid blues or just blue torts?
a black buck who carries blue but who does not carry tort, bred to a blue doe who does not carry tort will never produce torts of any colour

A black rabbit that is a blue carrier and bred to a blue should produce 50% black based and 50% blue based kits

I have a black tort buck I don't know his lineage but he has the perfect type to start my Dutch/Dwarf project ..... I have bred him to a black tort mixed doe and he has produced lilac tort, one blue tort kit and black tort kits out of my three experimental litters.
if the buck produced lilac then he must carry chocolate and dilute/blue

Breeding him to a black tort: Possible colors would be, black tort, blue tort...and?
Correct, you can only get torts but you'll get blue torts ONLY if the black doe carries blue/dilute

Breeding him to a Blue: Possible colors would be, black? blue tort, black tort??? :stars:
You will only get torts if the blue doe carries tort/non-extension, other wise you'll get blacks and blues

If he has a chocolate gene (since he threw a couple lilac torts)
He must have chocolate to produce lilac, which is the dilute of chocolate
Or would it not happen at all unless one of the does has chocolate in their pedigree?
Correct

Ok, so something I want to clear up: To get a color both parents have to carry the gene right? (For the color to come out that is)
Correct
And if I bred my black tort buck to a blue doe the first generation will most likely be black right?
No, because your buck is known to carry dilute/blue then when bred to a blue doe you should get 50% black based and 50% blue based offspring

Ok, so still talking about my black tort buck, if I bred him to a black tort doe, she would produce only black torts unless she has a blue or chocolate gene...are there any other color possibilities?

If I bred him to a solid blue she would produce just black and blue kits unless she carried chocolate and/or a tort gene?

And thanks SO much for answering my many questions Dood, I really, REALLY appreciate it! :all-ears: I'm up for any more genetic tips or advice you have to offer....do you recommend any good websites or genetic books for rabbits?
And you guys don't know how thankful I am to have you all as mentors! This website is the only forum, group or site I know that lifts people up and doesn't put them down. I can't tell you how many times I've been criticized by people on facebook groups or other sites by breeding rabbits without pedigree. And even though the idea for creating a smaller Dutch breed is an old one for me, I've never had the opportunity to try it out until now, and now that I can I find many people mad at me for starting this venture. :smashdreams: I've had too many crushed dreams by people who don't think my ideas are needed, but I can always, ALWAYS count on you guys to be kind, even if you may not agree. :grouphug2: I love you guys so much! You are most assuredly my Rabbittalk family! :D I'm so blessed to be apart of this forum!

Easy Ears":33hx3olw said:
Ok, so still talking about my black tort buck, if I bred him to a black tort doe, she would produce only black torts unless she has a blue or chocolate gene
Correct

.are there any other color possibilities?
Its possible, but since Dutch don't come in very many colours it is highly unlikely you'd get any

If I bred him to a solid blue she would produce just black and blue kits unless she carried chocolate and/or a tort gene?
Correct

And thanks SO much for answering my many questions Dood, I really, REALLY appreciate it! :all-ears:
You're welcome ;)

Hmm...ok, thanks so much! I think I've decided I like my lilac, blue and black torts so I'll try to squeeze one more litter out of my old doe and keep a kit for my program. (Since they won't be pedigree anyway, I won't worry about the un-showable colors) I'm a colour gal, and love variety...having just tort kits, or just blue and black kits aren't enough color for me. :lol: Once I get enough room to expand my rabbitry (which will be many years in the future-- once I finish collage) I'll think more about getting the colors I like from a bunch of different does, but while I can only have 2 permanent does now, I like to get as many colors as I can from one doe. ;) (If that makes sense. :roll: Wow...not very good with words today.) <br /><br /> __________ Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> Okay...it's been a while, LOTS have changed but to make a looooooong story short I am starting over with my Dutch. The plan is to pick up a pedigree pair at a show in the spring. I love blue and tort and other colors as well. I can currently only have 1 pair of Dutch do to room so I want to maximize my color choices. Assuming both lines are backed by generations of the same color what colors can I expect to get by breeding a black tort with a blue? Also, in my area there are little to no harlequin Dutch...is there anyway I can take other colors to produce a harlequin?

You will probably get just blacks breeding black tort to blue (though you may have chances at other colors, like blue, tort, and blue tort), but those blacks will carry blue tort, which is unshowable, so you might want to avoid that cross.

You need at least the harlequin gene for harlequin dutch - if you can't find harlequins, a gray (or even black, but not tort or gold/yellow) with a harlequin parent may produce harlequins when bred to a tort, but if you can't find harlequins around you, finding harlequin carriers may be just as hard.

SableSteel is correct that blue (aa B_ C_ dd E_) bred to black tort (aa B_ C_ D_ ee) will likely only produce blacks (aa B_ C_ Dd Ee)

If the tort has a blue parent or siblings there is a possibility they carry dilute and you'd get blues

If the blue has a tort parent or siblings there is a possibility they carry non-extension and you'd get black tort

If both parents carry these recessives then there is a chance of blue tort

You can only produce harlequins if one of the parents is a carrier. This gene can be hidden by full extension (found in black, blue, chocolate, lilac) but not by torts

Back