Best time to neuter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger

Reaction score
I have a Flemish giant buck and I was wondering if I should neuter him before he reaches puberty or is it okay to wait and do it later? I have heard that when it comes to neutering people (males) it's best to do it before puberty. It seems like the same thing might be true for rabbits.

With dogs and cats they neuter early to prevent behaviour issues like urine marking, dominance, aggression etc...

Not all male dogs and cats will develop these traits and similarly not all rabbits will either - none of my intact boys spray urine and usually it is the does who develop territorial agression and not the bucks ;)

Personally I'd not bother neutering a male house bunny unless he is already covering the walls with pee and then I'd get it done ASAP

I wouldn't neuter him until you have a problem with spraying or something. Especially with Flemish giants, whose weight and build can lead to hip & foot problems, I'd want to let the rabbit develop a bit more before neutering - if you have to, wait until he's 9-10 months old, and about at senior weight. Flemish giants are usually rather laid back, so you'd probably be fine without neutering him, not to mention the fact that any surgical operation in rabbits is risky, because they do not handle anesthesia well, and need a very experienced vet.

Thanks for the input. I want to breed him with my fawn colored Flemish doe and at some point after that I can have him neutered if I really need to. The guy that sold him to me said you can get good color results by breeding sandys with fawns but that's a topic for another post. I like both colors myself and as long as the kits don't come out brown with black poke-a-dots (chocolate chip) I will be happy.

Attachments

• 14570676_10210868206043970_4924998871766678615_o.jpg
    14570676_10210868206043970_4924998871766678615_o.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 1,795
Sandy and fawn is good color breeding for Flemish - you'll either get all sandies, or a mix of sandy and fawn most likely.

Latest posts

Back