What is the "best" Angora breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Doing all my research FIRST this time!!! :lol:

What breed is the least likely to mat hugely, are good (read easy) breeders with good mothering skills and give good quality fiber? Or am I asking too much? :lol:

I had one French Angora doe but she was a nightmare to keep groomed but it may have been just her, no history on her when we got her, she was abandoned in our 4H rabbit barn. :roll:

With so many Angora breeds, its hard to sort through all the hype to reach the truth.

Homer":1kkr282m said:
You might think about the "Giant Angora". I've never had them but thought this sounded interesting.

http://homesteading.about.com/od/Homestead-Livestock/tp/5-Angora-Rabbit-Breed-Profiles.htm

PSF Angoras (a member her and good friend) raises French. They take some attention but not a terrible burden the way she tells it. Says the culls make good meat rabbits too. ;)

Cross FA with Rex and I got the biggest loins I have ever gotten in a meat rabbit. HUGE and very good indeed.

Giant Angora eh? Shall go have a look right now. Are they an easy breed to find? <br /><br /> __________ Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:35 pm __________ <br /><br /> Right, it looks like German might be the breed for us! :p

Giant Angoras are not an easy breed to find at all

The upkeep largely depends on the quality - english angoras can be hard because they have so much wool, and satins can be hard because their wool is so fine. The better the quality of wool, the easier it is to care for (having that fine, cottony wool that mats easily is a fault for showing). German angoras might work for you, because they breed so much for wool - a good quality french might work too. Keep in mind that these higher quality rabbits often are more expensive, too.

Homer":3odwf5up said:
GBov - Good luck with your wooly endeavor! Are you just planning ahead for after your pond crossing?

Yep, planning ahead to keep me sane during the packing up stage. Rabbits are good for my head! :D

And my last herd came through one last time, the money I got from selling the lot paid for us to hide out from the hurricane so YAY bunnies!

I dont know how hard it might be to find German Angoras in England but perhaps a short holiday to Germany might be in order next summer? Just to find the right stock, of course, but as they were developed there, perhaps we might find one or three or a few more in their native land. ;)

Hmmmm I feel a touch of rabbitosis aquirensis stirring. :lol:

GBov":3585m4mv said:
Yep, planning ahead to keep me sane during the packing up stage. Rabbits are good for my head! :D
From the sounds of it you'll be on your way before you know it. :) In the mean time you can start shopping via the net. And get to work on that rabbit math ya know!?
1+1=9 :lol:

Homer":1jwji37n said:
GBov":1jwji37n said:
From the sounds of it you'll be on your way before you know it. :) In the mean time you can start shopping via the net. And get to work on that rabbit math ya know!?
1+1=9 :lol:

OMG that is sooooooo TRUE!!! No wonder I never did any good in school, that is the way my math always works! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I am sooooo sad no one was in my life who could diagnose and provide the "cure" in my younger years! :lol: Just think, I could have had DECADES of rabbit fun instead of just 6! :shock:

Two new questions on Angora breeds - reading old threads in the wool section I found mention of having to dehair some breeds of Angora wool to make it a sellable product and while reading on the web I found mention that German Angora fiber isnt as nice as some of the other breeds.

So, does one have to dehair fiber on some breeds and are all Angora fibers NOT created equal?

Sorry but there is no "cure". It only temporarily goes into remission. :rotfl:

If you don't get the answers your looking for on the questions try sending a PM to PSF Angoras. She's not active here anymore but will answer and talk Angoras all day long with you.

Homer":2ixd666g said:
Sorry but there is no "cure". It only temporarily goes into remission. :rotfl:

If you don't get the answers your looking for on the questions try sending a PM to PSF Angoras. She's not active here anymore but will answer and talk Angoras all day long with you.

Ooooo so a true sufferer then? My mum is bored blind by "rabbit" talk and cant figure out what rabbit people find to talk about for hours and hours and hours. :lol:

I will indeed get on to her. The worst part about figuring out a new breed to get obsessive about is how long its going to take me to get some. Still, it will be easier to enjoy them if I do the normal thing for once and set up the house BEFORE getting more rabbits. :oops: :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:12 am __________ <br /><br /> Hold on a moment!!! Isnt the cure more rabbits???

Homer":uho5ey79 said:
GBov":uho5ey79 said:
Hold on a moment!!! Isnt the cure more rabbits???

:lol: Nice try but, NO.

Well Poo! That must be what I have been doing wrong! :lol:

__________ Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:07 am __________

I am taking a bit of a break from packing (have run out of boxes :roll: ) so am researching Angoras.

OOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooooooo cant WAIT!!!

My not so good experience with them will not put me off, proper bloodlines and a much simpler life on my part will make the difference, I think. :D <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:20 pm __________ <br /><br /> Did I say simpler life? My bad! :lol: But if it was simple, perhaps it would also be boring?

The move across the pond has been axed in the court of law so we are stuck in Florida until my kids turn 18 (blasted 50 mile rule :evil: ) so have put in an offer on a cute little house in a National forest area. Its been accepted so, with luck, we close on the 1st of June.

Have already figured out where the rabbitry is going (Is my rabbitosis a bad thing or does it keep me sane? ;) ) and am now trying to find a breeder of German Angora in Florida.

Anyone know of one?

From the angora breeders I have talked to you strive for rabbits that don't mat easy and the hair drops out every 4 months or so. Some lines do not drop their coat and you have to cut it off. I guess the hair that is shed naturally is not as itchy as hair that is cut. I choose the Satin angora as they are not as big as the french, and not so super full coated as the smaller english. I love shiny silk like hair as opposed as the softer puffy hair. Now all I have to do it get to some fibar shows to learn all I can about this new hobby. Love the fiber optic silky fiber on these rabbits.5439060.jpg

GBov":1joai4mh said:
Have already figured out where the rabbitry is going (Is my rabbitosis a bad thing or does it keep me sane? ;) ) and am now trying to find a breeder of German Angora in Florida.

Anyone know of one?

I believe I recently saw some advertised in South Carolina. Angora Rabbit Connections on Facebook is a good place to ask.

Back